Icon: Phyllis Apple
CEO, The Apple Organization, age 84
I was chairwoman of this and president of that, the PTA. I worked for the Charlotte Observer. I did a column there. I did a lot of substitute teaching. That was in North Carolina. I didn't move here until I was 50.
I was always involved in raising money for charity. I got a divorce when I was 52, and I started dating a man and he said, 'You ought to open up a PR firm 'cause you've been doing it your whole life.' I started my business when I was 58. It was 1980.
I'm not good with names.
I never argue with anybody in the media to say, 'Do mine.' I give them the idea. If they like it, they take it. If they don't, leave it alone. I've taught my staff in my training, you don't push.
I do not want to stop working. I'm so happy that I've got such a fabulous staff that I don't have to do the actual calling and work. I just do the supervision.
You've got to come up with a hook. You don't have a hook, forget it.
I love working with all these young, beautiful people. I love the media. I love the way they think. My staff is really attractive. Not that I plan it. But it happens. I don't think you have to be good-looking. You have to have a certain look to be successful. You have to know how to talk.
We have a lot of women. Usually when you have a lot of women, you have a lot of catty -- a lot of nonsense going on, but I can tell you right now if I see anybody talking about anybody, they're in trouble. We don't have any problems.
If I ever catch anyone telling a lie, they're in trouble.
We saw the rough times. I'm bigger now than I've ever been. I attribute that to my staff.
I used to be very big in TV. I got everybody on TV. Today it's very hard to get on TV. Unless you commit a murder or a rape, it's very hard to get on.
I was working for Tom Daly, who by the way is great -- genius. I learned more from him at every meeting than I could ever learn from anybody else. George Bush was coming to Miami. He's vice president running for president. The older Bush. I got in touch with the committee. Remember they called him the wimp? I said, 'Hey, how would you like to have the wimp sitting on one of the tractors with all the working men with hard hats and him with a hard hat?' George Bush, with an entourage of two buses, loads of newspapermen -- it was amazing -- comes to Mystic Pointe when we were building.
I have a very positive attitude. You've got to know how to take rejection in this business because you're going to be turned down as much as you're accepted.
I have a son who's retarded. And he's married to a retarded girl. They have a wonderful life. They both drive cars. I'm buying them a home. They live in North Carolina. And it was accepting his handicap that I'm good at. I'm very accepting to what is.
Don't worry; that's my key. Do what I can for it and then leave it.
I haven't gone with anybody in a long period of time. Not interested.
I don't even go to my own events anymore if I can get out of it. I'm very happy to go home and read and needlepoint and be with my dog (Candy).
I just finished "Truman" by David McCullough. It's a long book, but I couldn't put it down. And before it, I just had finished reading "Team of Rivals." I've read a lot of Lincoln books, but I want to tell you that book -- I was in tears.
I live in a little townhome right on the golf course. I'm able to have flowers and do my planting there.
I grew up in Newark, New Jersey. I was a cheerleader, of course.
I was a very poor student because I'm dyslexic. When I found out what my problem was, it really helped me.
All my boyfriends went to war. Everybody was gone. I decided to join the Navy. I taught horseback riding because I always rode. I taught tennis and swimming, and we did parties and events for the enlisted personnel. That was the WAVES.
I've heard them say, 'Oh, she's tough.' I've heard people say that. I don't know what they mean by me being tough, truthfully, 'cause I'm not really tough. I'm fair.
I think I'm a pussycat.
In case you missed it:
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga