A fictitious name is any name other than an individual’s legal name. Registration of that name is required if it is used in business so as to inform the public of who is actually conducting business.
Business means any enterprise or venture in which a person sells, buys, exchanges, barters, deals or represents the dealing in any thing or article of value, or renders services for compensation.
Legal name means a person’s given name, or an entity that is properly registered.
Entities that transact business in Florida as Florida Limited Partnerships or Limited Liability Limited Partnerships are required by Florida Statutes to file a Certificate of
Limited Partnership with the Division of Corporations and pay the registration fees.
Any legal or commercial business entity listed as a General Partner must have an active registration or filing with the Division.
A Foreign Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Limited Partnership must submit an Application by Foreign Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Limited Partnership for Authorization to Transact Business in Florida, a certificate of existence from its home state or country, and the applicable registration fees.
All limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships or limited liability limited partnerships that register with the Division must file an annual report form each year between January 1 and May 1 and pay the filing fee.
Failure to file will result in revocation of authority to transact business. Partnership registration documents must bear original signatures. Photocopied documents bearing original signatures are acceptable; however, photocopied signatures are not acceptable. Documents must be typewritten or printed legibly in the English language.
Basic Information Required to File a Partnership Registration Statement
- The name of the Partnership
- The state or country of formation
- The Federal Employer Identification number (FEI)
- The street address of the chief executive office
- The street address of the principal office in Florida, if applicable
- In accordance with s. 620.8105(1)(c)(1 & 2), Florida Statutes, required partner information must be provided in one of the following options.
a] Attach a list of the names and mailing addresses of ALL partners and Florida Registration Numbers, if other than individuals, or:
b] Provide the name and street address of the agent in Florida who shall maintain a list of the names and mailing addresses of all partners. If agent is other than an individual, provide the Florida registration number of the entity.
- The typed or printed names of two partners and their signatures, attesting under penalties of perjury that the facts stated in the document are true. The date signed.
- (Optional) Effective date, if other than the date of filing. (Effective date cannot be prior to nor more than 90 days after the date of filing.)
Florida and Foreign Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Limited Partnerships
Basic Information Required to File a Certificate of Limited Partnership for a Florida Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Limited Partnership
- Name of the limited partnership or limited liability limited partnership (If a limited partnership, name must contain one of the following suffixes: "Limited Partnership", “Limited”, "L.P.", "LP" or "Ltd.” If a limited liability limited partnership, name must contain one of the following suffixes: “Limited Liability Limited Partnership”, "L.L.L.P." or "LLLP".)
- Street and mailing address of initial designated office
- Name of the Registered Agent for Service of Process (If agent is other than an individual, the entity must have an active Florida registration on file with the Division of Corporations.)