Icon: Betty Castor
Former education commissioner, University of South Florida president, lawmaker, teacher, age 66.
› After college, from 1963 to 1965, I taught secondary school in Uganda. My own family thought I was crazy. They warned me I should not do this. But it was a very idealistic time. I thought I could make a contribution. I wasn’t filled with the idea that I had to make big bucks.
› At the time, it seemed very safe to me. Now, of course, everybody knows the legacy of Idi Amin, but that came right after my experience.
› I enrolled at the University of Miami to get an advanced degree in education. I was penniless and decided I had to get a job, so I went to the Dade school district and said I’d like to work, and they said, ‘Well, if you’d like to work, we’re only hiring white teachers for our formerly minority schools.’ They had a vacancy at Holmes Elementary School, so I said I’d take it. This was a tough school, right in the heart of Liberty City. I had a wonderful experience there. Again, I felt like I could make a contribution.
Betty Castor [Photo: Jeffrey Camp]
› I had children and became involved in public affairs, particularly environmental issues. I became president of the League of Women Voters and that gave me an opportunity to mix and mingle with some of the governmental folks. We decided it was time to reform the county commission, and I invited a group of people over to my home one night to talk about who we could get to run for some of these local offices. And people were saying, ‘Betty, why don’t you do it?’ So after a little bit of persuasion I figured I didn’t have anything to lose, and I ran for county commission.
› There were 11 candidates in my primary. I was the top vote getter, and I had a runoff. I was the only female, and all of my male opponents except for one endorsed my opponent. But I won.
› I had that incident when I was asked to leave the University Club in Tampa. It was 1974. At the time it was an all-male club, and women were not permitted there for lunch. But I was invited by Dick Greco, the mayor then. I went to the back room at the appointed time and sat down. The waitress came in and she looked at me and I ordered something and she came back and said, ‘Mrs. Castor, you’ll have to leave.’ Then, a hostess came back and she said, ‘Mrs. Castor, you’ll have to leave and if you don’t, we’ll have to do something.’ I didn’t want to make a scene, so I got out. I didn’t know whether to cry or to get mad. I decided I ought to get mad. I went back to the courthouse, and I had a little press conference and I talked about it. When I was elected later to the state Senate, one of my first bills provided that public meetings could not be held in places that discriminated. So I feel like I got the last word. And I’ve been back there for lunch.
› When I was education commissioner, I worked very hard to get the first pre-K programs going, and I think that’s very important. It has grown, and I’m very proud of that.
› I share the view of Charlie Reed (former chancellor of the State University System), who says Florida is really a state, in terms of higher education, that’s on the cheap.Our tax situation is catching up with us. People are in rebellion because they don’t like the property tax, but we have so many loopholes in the sales tax, and the Legislature and the leadership will just not address that.
› I truly loved being a university president. The only reason you exist is to impart knowledge.
› It was unfortunate he (Sami Al-Arian) was ever at USF. You react to things based on the best knowledge that you have. It’s a frustrating position to be in because the university itself is not a law enforcement agency.
› I didn’t expect the rough and tumble of the U.S. Senate race. I was not prepared for the despicable part of it. But I’m glad I did it, and it was a very close race. I’ve moved on. My daughter (Kathy Castor) is in Congress, and I will let her do the politicking in the family.
› Sometimes, I worry about the discourse in politics. When I started out, when you were criticizing someone, you didn’t do it the way you do it now. The loss of civility is discouraging and disappointing.
› The issues we concentrate on at the center are water, sanitation and sustainability. We work to develop programs and encourage faculty to do research in other areas of the world. We’re working now mostly in the Caribbean. As a consequence, we’ve become very involved in issues of water potability here at home. So it all fits together beautifully. I’m delighted to be here, and I’m happy. I’m not looking at anything else.
In case you missed it:
- Greg Asbed is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Sherrill Milnes is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Pedro José Greer Jr.
- Al Hoffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Ronald ‘Winky' Wright is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Steve Spurrier, Florida Icon
- Wilson Bradshaw is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga