Icon: Bob Graham
U.S. senator, 1987-2005; governor of Florida, 1979-87; founder, University of Florida Bob Graham Center for Public Service; Miami Lakes; age 75
|[Photo: Jeffrey Salter]|
» When I went to the Senate in 1987, I would estimate from 100 senators, one-third of them were centrists — Republicans and Democrats. They were a little left or right of center, but were close enough that they could sit down and have a serious discussion and frequently find common ground. Today, I would say that number has declined to less than 15.
» Like Harry Truman, there are some people who weren't thought of well while they were active but time has treated better. One of those people would be Claude Kirk. He was the governor who began changing the value system of Florida from being 'Florida is a commodity' to 'Florida is a treasure.'
» I don't think Floridians appreciate the ethical challenge that our state faces. The Department of Justice publishes a state-by-state list of public officials who have been convicted of some crime. Florida was not only No. 1, but there was a noticeable gap between No. 1 and No. 2. When you ask people what's the most corrupt state, they may say New Jersey. But we're here.
» I came away from (the congressional inquiry into 9/11) believing there were significant unanswered questions. Questions for which there were answers — we just hadn't gotten them.
» It's important to know the extent of the Saudi involvement. First, because we have a lot of other relationships with the Saudis predicated on their being loyal allies to the U.S. If, in fact, they aren't, then we need to reassess their reliability. Second, if there was an infrastructure of support in place in the run-up to 9/11, is that infrastructure still there? My guess is that it is.
» I'm disappointed that some of the things I believe are very important for Florida's future, such as land and water management and education, seem to be under assault. There's no correlation between the policies that were repealed and their ability to contribute to jobs.
» I had a conversation with Jeb Bush, who agreed with me that (dismantling the water management districts) was bad for water, but it was also bad for the office of the governor because the governor effectively has control over the water-management districts. So why do you need to dismantle the districts and turn a substantial amount of what's now the governor's responsibility over to the Legislature, where I'm afraid it will be politicized?
» Florida is not going to grow at the rate that it has for the last 40 years of the 20th century.
» In some countries, impeachment is used as a political weapon regularly. In our country, it's only been used twice, and in both instances it has failed. I think for an action such as President Bush took, the proper forum or sanction is the ballot box, and that is what occurred.
» After the Civil War, there was a period when Florida was under control of what were referred to as 'carpet-baggers' who had come into the state after the war, most of whom had little familiarity with Florida. For over a hundred years, we had a state seal with a mountain on it.
» People forget that the first big advocates of the environment were Republican. Richard Nixon. Almost all of the major environmental laws that we live with today were enacted while he was president.
» I wish I didn't have to have open-heart surgery in the middle of my campaign for president. I don't know if I would have been the nominee, but I think it would have been a better performance.
» Adele is my closest friend and most-valued adviser. We've had 52 years of wonderful marriage.
» The perfect Florida meal would start with fresh shrimp cocktail. I'd have a heart-of-palm salad. I'd have the freshest fish available — with an equal amount of Angus beef: Surf and turf. I would have Key lime pie.
» I see education and the environment as being the two main pillars for Florida's ability to respond as we move through the 21st century.
» What little civics is left is spectator civics. It trains people to sit in the stands and watch the game of Democracy. It does not give them the skills to actually be a participant.
In case you missed it:
- Ronald ‘Winky' Wright is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Steve Spurrier, Florida Icon
- Wilson Bradshaw is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga