Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
Rainforest canopy researcher, professor of biology and environmental studies at New College, author, age 55
[Photo: Carlton Ward Jr.]
» My parents were very patient with me. I used to shriek for them to stop the car when I saw a wildflower I hadn’t seen before. They were really very nice to allow me to be this very strange child.
» I went off to Australia for graduate school because I got a very nice scholarship. During my very early weeks over there, the head of the department kindly took me aside and said, ‘Why on earth are you getting a Ph.D. when you’ll only get married and have children?’
» Being a woman has caused me to really make sure I’m doing good work, pay attention to details, be organized and be productive. I was also a single mom, which is like a scarlet letter, at least I felt it was. I had to make sure I could do my share of research and hold onto my job and be a good parent at the same time.
» The Ecological Society of America, of which I’m vice president for education and human resources, did a survey that showed 50% of Ph.D.s in ecology are going to women but less than 10% of women are ending up in leadership positions. And the pay scale is about 30% less for the equivalent job, female to male, so there are still some glass ceilings that women need to crack in the upper echelons of science.
» In the forest, it’s very important to cultivate the ability to know where a snake might lurk and be cognizant of that little rustling sound that’s a swarm of army ants. That’s my work, to be able to recognize those things, which gives me a sense of comfort in the forest. On the other hand, you have to keep me from walking off the curb when the light is red.
» I’m not a person who loves to go climbing for recreation. I take it pretty seriously.
» Oreos have become kind of my middle name. I’m pretty famous around the world for bringing Oreos to every village I go to.
» I told my children if the world starts to fall apart, we’ll move to the Amazon because, quite frankly, any village will take you in. They are so kind and gentle.
» I’ve eaten a lot of insects because they’ve been offered to me, but I’ve been in some situations where we actually did run out of food. Once, I survived on raisins for three days, and it was pretty darn OK.
» It’s really very sobering and I think humbling to go and see people who collect their food from the wild and remind ourselves of where we come from.
» My sons came with me on many of my trips. There wasn’t such a thing as staying home alone at 7 years old. I’ll be honest. You try to con your kids. ‘We will count beetles today, and it’s going to be really fun!’ We turned science into a game, and they became my best field assistants in a sense.
» I’ve really enjoyed working with (Florida CFO) Alex Sink as her climate change advisor because I see now that scientists have to talk to politicians. We have to get in the room and sit at the table if we’re going to have good environmental policy. We need to communicate the facts to the policy-makers.
» I thought of everything, like taking pictures, hiring a monkey and training it and all this other stuff that would allow me not to climb the trees. But I had to learn. It was 1979, and I was the first person in Australia to do that kind of work.
» It was extraordinary. Millions of things were living up there, and we didn’t know that back then.
» I got involved with the French, designing some of the inflatable gadgets. The hot-air balloon has to be about the most fun thing I’ve ever done in my life. It’s a fabulous sensation to actually be floating among other organisms who are not afraid of you. There are snakes that can almost fly through the canopy. There are monkeys busily hunting fruit and having fun playing. There are amazing, colorful birds and millions of insects. There’s a different sense of being a human in that environment. You’re really one of them. It’s humbling and exhilarating.
» Eco-tourism is a good intersection of economics and conservation. It’s becoming a very good solution in some of the tropical areas where I work. Florida doesn’t have a lot of eco-tourism inland. That’s untapped opportunity, perhaps.
» In Florida, we have invasive species. We have biodiversity threats. We have climate change. We have land-use challenges. We have infectious disease threats. And we have watershed issues. Where this is bad is it’s a liability, but it’s also an opportunity to get the best researchers to Florida to study these issues.
» I have 1,000 lamb chop recipes if you ever need any because I was a wife of a sheep farmer for eight years, but all the while I was starving to do my research.
In case you missed it:
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga