Icon: Richard Gonzmart
President, Columbia Restaurant chain, Tampa; age 58
Richard Gonzmart [Photo: Michael Heape]
» When I was 12 years old, I started working in the restaurant washing dishes. My father didn't want me washing dishes, but I wanted to. I learned how hard that work is. The dishwasher is the lowest-paid employee, operating the most expensive piece of equipment, responsible for the sanitation of every eating utensil and glass item for every customer. I hold them in the highest respect.
» The way I look at it, and the way I hope my children will look at it, is this business is a legacy started by my great-grandfather. If you sell it, what good is money if you don't have a purpose in life?
» Back in the '40s and '50s, if you used canned vegetables, that was considered really high class, luxurious. After I got out of college and came back, the first thing I did was get rid of the canned vegetables.
» Our 106 years of success can be ruined by one visit. You're only as good as the last meal.
» I learned 20 years ago that I have a learning disability. It was obvious in school, but nobody knew it. I'm dyslexic and I have ADHD. This is not a weakness. It's my strength, my creativity. But it has taught me that I have to hire people to execute what I want done because I've got a thousand things going on. I love chaos.
» My favorite at lunchtime is boliche, stuffed eye round with chorizo. It's not a good seller, but I won't ever take it off the menu.
» People start treating a family business as their personal bank account. You can't do that. That's the demise of any family business — or company.
» My wife and I go to Spain three times a year on business, and I love the food, but I also love Thai and Vietnamese food. I like the freshness of Asian food, the quick preparation, the vegetables.
» What I dislike is people putting salt on the food before they taste it.
» When I was a kid, I was in the 4-H. I had a Black Angus I refused to show in the fair because I didn't want it to get sold and butchered. Some people thought I was going to be a vet because I love animals so much. I don't hunt. I can't stand killing anything. Although I've run with the bulls in Spain, I don't like bullfighting. I admire the bulls, their power.
» When I make a decision, I think about how I'm impacting the 850 people who work for us. I can't be careless with their lives. When the economy was going down, my CFO said we have to cut the 401(k). I said no.
» I've run 16 or 17 marathons. I really hate running marathons.
» The Cuban sandwich is really a Tampa sandwich. There's no Cuban sandwich per se. In Miami, they do a Cuban sandwich, but it's different. They don't do the salami. The Tampa sandwich is an immigrant sandwich. The salami is from the Italians. The ham from the Spanish. The pork from the Cubans. The cheese, the mustard, the pickles from the Germans. I have menus from the '40s that called it the mixed sandwich.
» Until you love an animal, your soul has not been awakened.
» I'm no saint, but I've never asked a woman to show me her boobs. At Gasparilla, we're out there to show respect for our heritage, not to be jerks. So a few years ago, I took a stand and I resigned from the krewe that was founded by my father. I'm not in the parade anymore.
» If it was up to me, I'd have chickens and a dozen dogs at my house.
» The day after Lee Roy Selmon died, I prayed to God, I said, 'Lord, help me to be kind and gentle like Lee Roy Selmon.' Ten minutes later, I was all fired up about something. OK, I'm not a Lee Roy Selmon.
» I can remember feeling stupid because the way I read is different. I always want to read right to left. It makes it tough.
» My dogs love me. It's unconditional love. My dog Rusty, he would literally die for me. I only wish I could be half the man my dogs think I am.
» People think I don't sleep, but I do. I wake up at 1 or 2 in the morning and start sending e-mails. I sign off my e-mails 'Here's to life' because that's all we have. Life is short. It's fleeting. That's why I wake up early. I'm trying to get two lives out of one.
In case you missed it:
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga