Icon: Wade L. Hopping
Born Aug. 12, 1931; died Aug. 11, 2009 -- Former Florida Supreme Court justice, lobbyist; Tallahassee
[Photo: Barry Gross]
» My father owned a series of restaurants and bars, mostly family bars. One of my dad’s bars, the Zombie Bar, had the first TV in Dayton, Ohio.
» I’ve always been personally conservative. Not politically conservative as much as personally conservative. I remember when I was doing things for Claude Kirk, one of my friends said to me, ‘Hopping, you’re a latent liberal’ — because I was always thinking of these ideas that would move things forward. I’m very much for investing in infrastructure.
» I got involved in the YMCA summer camps and eventually worked my way up to being a counselor. That kept me from really going off the deep end because we didn’t really have much supervision from my mother. She was a very beautiful woman, and when she was divorced, there were a lot of guys around. I was a latch-key kid, and a pretty bad latch-key kid. I mean, she’d go off for two or three days. It was tough sometimes. It was unsettling, but you learn to make do and you develop some initiative. I think there were some close calls when you’re alone between 11 and 20.
» I went to college because my high school adviser told me not to. This guidance counselor said, ‘You really shouldn’t even think about going to college.’ She just made me so damn mad.
» I graduated from law school sort of in the middle of my class. They used to say in law school that the A students become professors, the B students become judges and the C students make a million dollars.
» I always laugh and say Claude Kirk had 100 original ideas a day. Now most people only have one original idea a year, maybe an original idea a month, but he had 100 of them. He thought every one of them was perfect. What he really needed that he didn’t have enough of were people to say, ‘hey, that’s a bad idea.’
» (Gov. Bob) Graham, God love him ... he didn’t have a successful relationship with the Legislature. He always had these great ideas, but they were great soaring ideas. He never could quite present a clear, concise agenda for them.
» When Lawton’s engaged (former Gov. Lawton Chiles) that guy’s a world beater. Toward the end, he was sometimes not engaged.
» The problem is that every level of government, state, regional and local, builds in additional process hurdles. So what happened in 1975 when we adopted the Growth Management Act, which required all local governments to adopt comprehensive plans, we should have abolished the DRI process. In 1985, when we amended the Growth Management Act and really polished it up, we should have repealed the DRI process.
» Republicans have this little bit of habit that I call the shoot, ready, aim habit.
» In some ways concurrency is a good idea (and) some ways it’s a bad idea. I mean, if your roads are at level (of) service E, why should I, as the incoming developer, bear the costs of bringing it to B? Or why should the new homeowners? The concept we had a lot of trouble getting people to understand is, hey, you aren’t costing the developers a dime ... it just increases the price of housing and lots.
» I’ve been a longtime advocate of increasing the sales tax.
» You know lawyers think they know everything and they think they can do anything, but planners are even worse. They think they know more about what the developer ought to do or what the public should have or what the local government ought to do than anyone else.
» A fundamental problem with all environmental regulation and growth management is none of these agencies trusts the other agencies’ judgment. And the environmentalists don’t trust anybody’s judgment.
» I sense there’s a general frustration in the state. There are a lot of people who now say, ‘Guys, we’ve got too many people. Where are we going here?’ I have that sense of frustration some. I think until we change our tax structure, we are not going to take care of that problem. We need a generation of political martyrs to do it because they’ll be out of office. We’ve got to do something about the homestead exemption, we’ve got to do something about the bankruptcy law that allows people to hide money down here, and I think we’ve got to do something about funding our infrastructure, which means increase taxes.
» I always say that government is like kudzu — you’ve got prune it back every year, or it will grow right over you. I think we’ll be tinkering with it forever.
In case you missed it:
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga