Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
Executive chairman, Greenberg Traurig law firm; Miami; age 63
[Photo: Nick Garcia]
» I would probably work anywhere from 2,600 to 2,800 billable hours a year. And to work 2,600 to 2,800 billable hours, you're working seven days a week. You can't even get them to do 1,800 hours nowadays. I didn't have a balance of life. I wanted to eat two meals a day at least. That was my balance of life.
» I'm not a trial lawyer. I'm a compromiser. I am a business individual. I actually wanted to be an investment banker. So I got my MBA, but then my brother started law school and I said, ‘You know, that may not be a bad idea.'
» Mel Greenberg is the first guy here in south Florida to figure out the Cubans weren't going back anytime soon. I was going to the University of Florida at the time. He called me and he said, ‘Would you like to come down? Send me a resume.' So he paid my way down and I came. And he said, ‘Hi, Carlos, how are you?' And I said, this is a hell of a start. Now the reason he was calling me Carlos was because, I think, he was actually trying to hire my brother Carlos, who was an All-American football player at the University of Florida.
» I was the 13th lawyer. We're a little north of 1,800 (now).
» Castro came in Jan. 1, 1959. We left June 28, 1960. I was 13. So I was just awakened on a Tuesday morning. ‘We're going to the United States on vacation. Get dressed.' There used to be a ferry that would go from Havana to Key West. As we're leaving Havana harbor, I happen to glance at my mother and my father and they're looking towards Havana and they have tears in their eyes. Within a week, my father sat us down and told us, ‘This is your new country. ... Always be proud where you came from. Be proud that you're Cuban. Be proud you're Hispanic. But this is your new country. Assimilate, learn the language, learn their values, and you're going to be an American now.' And that was it. That was a tough thing to hear.
» It's interesting people don't understand what winning is. Is winning that lawsuit really winning? Because even if you spent seven or eight years doing that, it will distract your entire life. It will take you off course.
» Any lawyer can tell you, ‘I will sue for you.' It's the lawyer who will analyze it for you and tell you when it's good for you to sue and when it's not good for you to sue — that is the lawyer you really want to have in your life.
» I feel as an underdog that I've got to be better.
» I'll tell you a funny story about feeling complacent. We were having an executive committee meeting of the firm in Washington. Our Washington office is catty-corner to the White House. We were having dinner at a very private club. I go in and one of the members looks at me coming in and gives me a $5 bill and says, ‘Can you get me a cab?' I literally went and hailed the cab. I in fact got the $5 bill because I know how hard it is to make $5. I thought it was funny.
» When you are an immigrant group like the Cubans here, the first amount of power that you get is political power because all you need to do is register to vote. Power in the business community and in social circles takes a hell of a lot longer. We owe a great deal of gratitude to the Jewish community. They were the ones that would try to get us into boards and social circles and invited us to things.
» We were not an AmLaw 100 firm at all when I started managing the firm in 1997, and we made it to the top 10. Sometimes in life to be successful, you have to be a little too dumb to listen to all the folks who tell you what you can and cannot do.
» When we needed to create a law school in the Hispanic community (at FIU), they pitted the African-American community and the Hispanic community. After a year of this we said, ‘Hey, wait a minute, why don't we get together and we'll have two law schools?' Why is a law school important? If you think about it, lawyers tend to have a disproportionate amount of influence on what happens in society. If whatever communities you are in are not properly represented in the legal system, you will never have equal representation ultimately.
» Anybody who tries to limit you, generally, are the closest people to you. It's your mama, your father, your best friend who doesn't want you to try that because if you fail, you're going to be hurt and we don't want anybody hurt. In our society, everybody has to have a blue ribbon. God forbid anybody is hurt doing something.
In case you missed it:
- Al Hoffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Ronald ‘Winky' Wright is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Steve Spurrier, Florida Icon
- Wilson Bradshaw is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga