Photo:(l to r) Paul Lopez, William Davell, Robert Meacham and Edward Pozzuoli celebrate the merger and the depth it brings to the clients of May, Meacham & Davell and Tripp Scott.
Deeper Roots, Expanded Reach
The law firm of May, Meacham & Davell PA has moved six attorneys and staff to join the Tripp Scott team.
A merger was not on the radar for either firm. Tripp Scott has focused on organic growth by adding one attorney at a time. May, Meacham & Davell (MMDPA) had declined offers before.
“The motives had been for larger firms outside our area to simply increase their client base here,” says William Davell. “With Tripp Scott, it’s like we are coming together for the benefit of clients in the area. It’s not just about growth. It’s about providing better service.”
The unprecedented merger with MMDPA positions Tripp Scott as one of the region’s largest firms with influence statewide.
“Even though this was a huge step for us, it seemed natural,” says Tripp Scott COO Paul Lopez. “Our firms had collaborated on projects previously. We have a very similar culture and, our commitments to community, education and business align perfectly.”
MMDPA has been a part of the South Florida community for more than 25 years. With the addition of their six attorneys to the Tripp Scott family, Tripp Scott will now provide additional services for clients of both firms and expand Tripp Scott’s practice areas to include construction law.
• Banking and Finance Along with filing assists for both fi rms, this merger brings
together fi rms that share common clients.
• Charter Schools Expertise The merger brings together attorneys with significant experience in the educational area of charter schools. The combined expertise working with schools, owners and management companies on transactions, financing, school operations and legislation is unrivaled.
• Construction and Land Use The depth of experience MMDPA brings in construction is a perfect complement to Tripp Scott’s expertise in land use expertise.
• Employment Law This area of law is a strength of Tripp Scott that MMDPA was outsourcing and collaborating with other fi rms to cover for their clients.
• Tax Law MMDPA attorneys bring a wealth of business and fi nance experience, but the merger strengthens the services they can provide with Tripp Scott’s signifi cant depth in tax law experience.
“When we began conversations,” says Rob Meacham, “we realized we were already serving some of the same clients but in different service areas.”
Clients of both now have one firm with the familiar ethics, culture and competency they trust with a strong commitment to their community and state.
An effective advocate must be ethical. Despite public perception, the standards of ethics and professionalism are high in the governmental relations world as public trust is so crucial to the functioning of our government. Ethics have always been the foundation of TSE’s strategy. Decision-makers must be able to trust that the information being provided to them is sound, true and accurate. Cutting corners on ethics guarantees failure in the long term if not in the short term.
Communication is key. Honesty and directness are what a lawmaker wants and needs. In making a solid argument, giving all sides of the issue — even that of opponents — not only builds the relationship, it also helps the lawmaker address opposition. This strategy empowers the lawmaker and blocks other sides from redirecting focus. Earning the trust of decision-makers and their staff is crucial to being an effective advocate.
Adaptive messaging is critical. Mastering a consistent message that can be tailored to a variety of personalities and values is a coveted skill possessed by TSE. Strong research allows the advocate to know both the political and economic climate surrounding the issue. What will resonate with someone from the Panhandle may not resonate with someone from South Florida. The message has to click to inspire the needed outcome.
Building trust with decision-makers and staff is as crucial as doing your homework on an issue. A strong network, access and dedication are what TSE offers its clients.
Tripp Scott Law Firm
Fort Lauderdale • Boca Raton • Tallahassee
954.525.7500 • TrippScott.com