Photo: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images
Florida Trend's Icon Series
Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
Lead singer, AC/DC, Sarasota; age 65
» The Beatles had just come out, and everybody wanted to be in a band, even people who couldn’t play. My friends, they were starting a band. The bass player had a bass guitar. His brother had a guitar. Another had a beautiful set of Gretsch drums, orange spotted. And they said, ‘What are you going to do?’ I was 15 and I sang in the church choir, but that wasn’t singing. That was chanting. I asked them, ‘Can I sing?’ and they said, ‘I don’t know. Can you?’
» One thing I get angry at is when people tell me that I’m lucky, that the band is lucky. The harder we worked, the luckier we got.
» I went to Fort Myers first and bought a place on the beach. It was to get away from the tax in England, as well. I wanted to live outside of England. The tax was just crippling, just ridiculous. Way above 50%.
» The first band, me and the boys came up with this name, the Gobi Desert Canoe Club. We thought we were dead funny, really catchy and fabulous. We thought we were dead cool, apart from the fact that our van never started and we didn’t have any gigs.
» I have a music room at Sarasota Memorial Hospital called the Brian Johnson Music Therapy Room. It’s for sick children, terminal children. It’s to get them away from the shiny things, the scrubs, the rubber gloves and the needles. There’s guitars, keyboards, drums. Music is good for you.
» The AC/DC boys, we never really got into the drug scene, you know. We were pretty piss-poor at it. The next day, that’s the problem. It’s not good for the voice. It hurts the music. It happened once at a gig. We weren’t right, and I said, ‘never again.’
» Florida feels like home. When I go back to England, I feel like I’m visiting.
» I’m not a great one for pride, but I’m so happy I’ve had a grandson so late in life. He’s 2½. What a great tyke. He’s the apple of his granddad’s eye.
» I refuse to watch this ‘X Factor’ and ‘The Voice.’ It’s cruel. Unfair. They get a person up on stage. They build him up or make a fool of him. Then in two weeks’ time if they don’t win, they’re in a Holiday Inn lounge somewhere.
» My hero is George Washington. He was the guy. He was a true man of the people, even though he wasn’t. They offered him the monarchy of America and he went, ‘You idiots. We just spent … years trying to kick one out and you want to make me king?’
» I can’t describe how much it means to be standing on stage and see a man of 73 and next to him is his son and next to his son is his grandson. Three generations and they’re all rocking. We must be doing something right.
» I hate Facebook. I hate Twitter. What happened to privacy? I found out there are 11 Brian Johnsons on Facebook who claim they’re me. Bollocks to it.
» I love getting great people together for dinner parties. I think it’s just one of the most wonderful things you can do, to listen to wonderful conversation.
» The choir director made me head choirboy, which meant I wore a gold thing and got three shillings and six pence a week. Big money. I was 13. Unfortunately, the ex-head choirboy, who was just losing his voice, got miffed and attacked me behind the church. There we were, behind the house of God, knocking the shit out of each other.
» When I go back to Newcastle, I become a ‘used to be man,’ which means you sit in the car with friends saying there used to be a cinema there and there used to be a butcher shop there. All the pubs that I used to love have all been knocked down and become wine bars or restaurants selling pork belly, which is a very expensive way of serving you fat with a little bit of meat on it.
» I’m a member of probably one of the greatest golf clubs on the planet. It’s called Gator Creek. It only has about 250 members and it’s men only.
» In England, all the Manchester United fans are ticked off because they got the bloody Glazers: ‘They take our money, and all they do is spend it on the Bucs!’ And then all the guys here: ‘Bloody Glazers. They buy this freaking team in England, and they spend all the money over there!’
» I didn’t join a band to become famous. I joined a band to play music and for me peers to say, ‘He’s a good singer.’ That’s what you do.
» Everybody is already dead once they’ve passed 50, so just try to have the greatest time you can. I’m fit as a butcher’s dog. I race cars all over the world. I’ve got some good solid pals, great family and a great wife who really looks after me. When I race, I race to the maximum because I don’t care. I’ve already had a great life.
In case you missed it:
- Florida Icon: Pedro José Greer Jr.
- Al Hoffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Ronald ‘Winky' Wright is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Steve Spurrier, Florida Icon
- Wilson Bradshaw is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga