Icon: Janet Reno
Former U.S. Attorney General, State Attorney General, age 67
I haven't read the comics in a long time. But Pogo was just such a wonderful ... I mean, I think Walt Kelly was a genius.
The worst moment is Waco. There's no question about that.
I've been in public service long enough to know if you prevail in one moment, you may be down and out the next moment. You may be on top of the world the next moment. It's important to not let a single issue defeat you.
I think it's important for public officials to look at their job as: What is the right thing to do? And then you've got to figure out how to get it done.
I don't miss the posturing and divisiveness in political discussion. I think we can do a better job of discussing the issues in candid, constructive ways.
Watergate created a tension and a suspicion that won't go away. I think the amount of money spent, not just in elections but on issue advocacy by lobbyists, makes it very hard for the people to be accurately informed, sufficient to make a valid judgment about the issues before them.
When I was in Germany when I was 13, in about 1952, I visited my aunt and uncle. He was a judge with the occupation forces. He took me past Dachau as we rode on one of his judicial circuits, and he told me what happened there. And that night I came home to Regensburg, where we lived, and asked my adult German friends how could they let this happen. And they said, "We just stood by." And I determined that when I saw wrong, I did not want to be accused of just standing by.
I think Ashcroft changed the presumption we had created in favor of openness in the handling of FOIA requests. Again, it's a concern we all must have because how can we have a democracy unless people can understand what the government is doing in the democracy?
When you've worked at the problem for a long time, then you begin to see results -- it is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have, and I cite two examples: One, the drug court. Now there are over 400 drug courts across the country that are providing effective treatment opportunities for a larger number of Americans. And then with child support. We made it a priority, and we developed an effective effort. That's what makes public service so rewarding.
Somebody suggested that the major educational institution in America is the middle-class family, and I think there's probably worlds of truth in that statement. But for the child that doesn't have a middle-class family, how do we give them the opportunity early on when they do not have a voice? How do we give them the opportunity to become strong and self-sufficient and capable of doing far more to live by their own means rather than by government?
The Democratic Party should be talking in terms of these issues, and providing alternatives, not just criticizing, but providing positive alternatives.
The great joy in my life today is the chance to spend time with my great-nieces and nephews.
In case you missed it:
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga