NEEDHAM, Mass., Feb. 26, 2019 -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site, today announced the winners of its Travelers' Choice® awards for Beaches. For the second year in a row, Florida's Clearwater Beach is named the number one beach in America. Of the 25 best beaches in the U.S., 40 percent are in Florida and almost 30 percent are in Hawaii. Award winners were determined based on the quantity and quality of traveler reviews and ratings for beaches on TripAdvisor, gathered over a 12-month period.
TripAdvisor has awarded 352 beaches overall, including a top 25 world list and dedicated lists for Africa, Asia, Europe, South America, Australia, Central America, Middle East, South Pacific, Caribbean, Brazil, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, U.K., and the U.S. In the global ranking, Baia do Sancho in Brazil, has been crowned the number one beach in the world.
"With cold weather causing many of us to wish for sunnier days, now is the perfect time to make your dreams come true and plan your next beach getaway at one of these amazing, award-winning beaches! This list of travelers' favorite beaches around the world has something near or far for surfers and sunbathers alike," said Desirée Fish, vice president of global communications for TripAdvisor.
"Clearwater Beach continues to be one of the best beaches in the world, and it's special to have the millions who make up the TripAdvisor community reaffirm that it truly is the No. 1 beach in America for the second-straight year," said Leroy Bridges, vice president of digital & communications for Visit St. Pete/Clearwater. "And having St. Pete Beach at No. 4 underscores why we think St. Pete/Clearwaterhas America's Best Beaches."
For the complete list of Travelers' Choice award-winning beaches for 2019, visit: https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches.
Top 25 Travelers' Choice Beaches in the U.S.:
1. Clearwater Beach – Clearwater, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Clearwater Beach is a very family oriented beach. There is ample parking along the beach and a metered parking lot. The beach itself has very fine white sand, which is very clean, with bathrooms and various places to wash the sand off your feet as you leave the beach."
- Helpful tips: Chair, umbrella and cabana rentals are available
2. Ka'anapali Beach – Lahaina, Hawaii
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "One of the most beautiful and cleanest beaches I've visited. Whales jumping in the distance becomes commonplace. Beautiful sunsets. There is an awesome Beachwalk with restaurants and resorts along the way. Relaxing vibe, not very crowded."
- Helpful tips: Some of Maui's best snorkeling
3. Panama City Beach – Panama City Beach, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "The most beautiful beach in the world, year-round. The sand is pure white and water, crystal blue. Panama City Beach is definitely heaven on earth. You'll love the beach and Pier Park offers plenty of shopping, places to eat, a grand movie theater and fun-filled entertainment."
- Helpful tips: 27 miles of swimming, snorkeling, dolphin-spotting, parasailing and jet skiing
4. Saint Pete Beach – St. Pete Beach, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Amazing time - beautiful beach - what's not to love? The sand is soft, silky and warm for strolls along the beach and shell collecting. Love the warm water and the low tide levels for kids. An awesome weekend in a beautiful location with stunning sunsets, lovely food, the thing dreams are made of on vacation!"
- Helpful tips: Laid-back vibe, powder white sand, chair/umbrella rentals available
5. Pensacola Beach – Pensacola Beach, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Love these white sand beaches! Awesome atmosphere and well behaved crowds. Not rowdy like other beaches. Plenty of rental chairs/umbrellas. Visit the fishing pier for some great photos."
- Helpful tips: Located on Santa Rosa Island and home of the Blue Angels Navy Flight squadron
6. Siesta Beach – Siesta Key, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "If you want to hit a great beach with PLENTY of room, you found it! There are chairs and umbrellas available to rent, a place to get food and drinks (even adult ones), bathrooms, showers, volleyball, parasailing, and plenty of activities. We were able to throw the football with the kids without worrying about hitting anyone or running into anyone. Beautiful view!"
- Helpful tips: Public swimming beach known for its clean, hard-packed sand.
7. Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area – Puako, Hawaii
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "A big golden beach in the northwest part of the island. As Hawaiian beaches go, this one was long with plenty of soft sand that made it great for walking and watching the waves. Also, there is a path at the end of the beach that runs along the lava rocky shore which makes for a nice hike if you are wearing sturdy closed toe shoes. All in all a beautiful park and beach."
- Helpful tips: One of the nicest sand beaches on the Kohala coast on the Island of Hawaii
8. St. Augustine Beach – Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Loved walking the beach for miles in search of shells. Easy public access from numerous points. Public parking was free. The expanse of the beach seemed to be an endless expanse. We walked three miles round-trip search for shells, watching sea birds, people watching and chatting with fellow travelers. It was a sweet treat."
- Helpful tips: Dog friendly with white sand dunes
9. Fort Lauderdale Beach – Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Stretching more than 5 miles, the Fort Lauderdale beach offers something for everyone, from the fast life of the fit and fabulous to the more traditional sand castle fun of families with little kids. The central point of the beach has old traditional joints like the Elbow Room and Drunken Taco with more up-to-date and gourmet options from Asian fusion to Italian. As you head south, larger beaches and family friendly areas for the kids to splash around and be loud."
- Helpful tips: Arrive early to grab shade under a palm tree
10. Driftwood Beach – Jekyll Island, Georgia
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "This is a wonder of nature. To sit on one of the fallen branches of what was once a huge tree is so relaxing as you listen to the water and watch the waves. It can be tricky out here though and one has to be careful of the tide schedule."
- Helpful tips: Bring a camera instead of a beach towel
11. Cherry Grove Beach – North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Most likely to not be crowded, best chances of free parking, more shells, lots of beach showers, toilet access - and the same great ocean as Myrtle Beach. As locals, this is where our family goes most often when we go to the beach."
- Helpful tips: Look for shark teeth
12. Navarre Beach – Navarre, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "We visited Navarre Beach after stumbling upon it, one of the BEST well-kept vacations secrets in the U.S. The beaches are white powder, the water looks like the Bahamas and the locals are chill and friendly. Great restaurants, hotels on the ocean and overall feel. We'll be back!"
- Helpful tips: A beach for solitude and simplicity, along with the longest pier in Florida
13. Poipu Beach Park – Poipu, Hawaii
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Perfect sand, nice ledge about 10 feet from the shore line. There are sections that have either rock or coral that can make it a challenge to stand but those areas are small. The sunsets from this beach are absolutely stunning. Best on the island hands down!"
- Helpful tips: Some of Kauai's best snorkeling
14. South Beach – Miami Beach, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "We loved it - especially the Art Deco and stunning restored buildings at South Beach. The beach is fabulous, good swimming and good lazing in the sun on the sun-beds with umbrellas. Enjoyed the choice of restaurants along South Beach, but our favorite is the Villa Casa Casuarina, the former home of the adored Italian fashion designer Gianni Versace."
- Helpful tips: The area is known for its hip clubs, wild nightlife, excellent restaurants
15. Hollywood Beach – Hollywood, Florida
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Our family really enjoyed Hollywood Beach. Safe, friendly, and clean. There are areas to rinse off your feet, toys, etc., at each entrance to the beach. Beautiful boardwalk to walk along when you need a break from the sun. There are also cabanas, beds, chairs, and umbrellas to rent right on the beachfront. You can ask for food and alcoholic beverages in plastic cups to-go and have them right on the beach."
- Helpful tips: For a break from the sand, rent a bike for a ride on the boardwalk
16. Coronado Beach – Coronado, California
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Miles and miles of public beach with no admission fee. The sand is clean and scattered with shells. One section is a dog park where you can watch dogs playing. Nice restrooms. We enjoyed walking along the shore."
- Helpful tips: Popular surfing beach with gold flecks in the sand
17. Wailea Beach – Wailea, Hawaii
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "This is such a relaxing beach, I would've stayed there the whole day if I had the chance. The sand was so soft, almost like brown sugar. I seriously couldn't stop feeling how soft it was - it was almost therapeutic. The views were amazing with cliffs on one side and a mountain on the other. There was a parking lot specifically for the beach. Washing stations and bathrooms were available."
- Helpful tips: Great for snorkeling
18. Ogunquit Beach – Ogunquit, Maine
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Perfect beach to walk as far along as you want - sand, sea, sunshine and a cooling breeze! Up to three miles of clean sand, shallow water, no rocks, beautiful waves, not to mention all the inviting restaurants along the way. Best place to unwind and catch up on life."
- Helpful tips: Escape the cold water in a covered Adirondack chair
19. Newport Beach – Newport Beach, California
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Newport Beach is just what you would order up for a day at the beach. Soft, sandy, long beaches with nice waves in some areas for boogie boarding and/or surfing. Myriads of restaurants, shops, and rentals to make for a great day at the beach. The people-watching is great also. The biggest negative would be parking on crowded beach days."
- Helpful tips: Watch for whales and dolphins
20. Waikiki Beach – Honolulu, Hawaii
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "This stretch of beach is great to walk in the early morning or at sunset. The water is a perfect temperature any time of the day. Stand up paddle boarding, surfing and snorkeling are all doable in this area. There are areas for just the little kiddies to play safely. It's great to watch people or hang out for the day and turn a golden brown. Check with lifeguards for surf and water conditions."
- Helpful tips: Jellyfish are common in the area when winds change
21. Coligny Beach – Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "This beach is worth a visit. The sand is very firm so it's great for walking and biking. There are change rooms, washrooms, and even swings at the entrance to the beach. There is some parking but not a lot. There are stores really handy and restaurants so you can make a day of it."
- Helpful tips: Check out the splash pad area for kids
22. Manini'owali Beach (Kua Bay) – Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Favorite of locals for good boogie boarding and surfing, as well as just playing in the surf. Small beach, but nice white sands, with good places in the surrounding rockery to set up chairs, umbrellas, etc., to spend a few hours. Also a good beach for whale watching. Nice restroom facilities, plenty of parking and an outdoor shower for cleaning the sand off before getting in your car."
- Helpful tips: Watch out for lava rock
23. Napili Beach – Lahaina, Hawaii
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "The ocean here is calmer and the beach is more private. Tons of whales jumping in the background. Some of our best sunset photos are from this beach. It is a little to the north of Ka'anapali, so more 'tropical' with more palm trees and greenery. This is a good beach for honeymooners and people with kids."
- Helpful tips: Great for snorkeling
24. Race Point Beach – Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "We have been coming to Provincetown for many years and love this beach. Great highlight of Race Point is the concession stand. Great food, drinks and evening activities. Beach and bathrooms are well kept. Easy to get to beach as there is path, good for the disabled."
- Helpful tips: Watch for seals along the National Seashore and watch the sunset in the dunes
25. Sandbridge Beach – Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Recent TripAdvisor review: "Sandbridge is a very quiet beach town. Just sand and sun. Great place for families to have low-key fun and relaxation. I find this my happy place. Will definitely come back again and again. Beach is clean."
- Helpful tips: Back Bay state park is great for bike rides!
Award winners were determined based on the quantity and quality of traveler reviews and bubble ratings for beaches on TripAdvisor, gathered over a 12-month period.
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site*, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 730 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide – covering approximately 8.1 million accommodations, airlines, experiences, and restaurants – TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 490 million average monthly unique visitors**, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.