TAMPA, Fla. — The December discounts keep flowing at the pump. Gas prices have declined for 5 consecutive weeks, as refineries flood the market with more gasoline than is consumed. This helped prices return to levels not seen since August 30, when gas prices surged in response to Hurricane Harvey's impact on Gulf Coast refineries.
"Gulf Coast refineries have completely recovered from the effects of Hurricane Harvey, and are now flooding the market with fuel in anticipation of strong demand during the year-end holidays," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "AAA forecasts a record-setting 97.4 million Americans will take a road trip during the final 10 days of the year. However, the strong supply of gasoline should help stave-off any gas price hikes that would otherwise be caused by such a surge in demand."
Gas prices for the year-end holidays should be on par with - if not lower than - last year. The state average is falling at a rate of one cent per day. If that trend continues, pump prices would drop another 8 cents before Christmas Day.
|Today||Christmas Day 2016||New Year's Day 2017|
Gas Price Tools for Reporters/Consumers
- GasPrices.AAA.com - Daily national, state, and metro gas price averages.
- AAA Mobile app - Free app that shows current prices at a gas station near you.
Regional Gas Prices
Florida gas prices averaged $2.38 on Sunday - the lowest since August 30. The state average declined 3 cents during the past week. Florida gas prices are 13 cents less than a month ago, and 6 cents more than this time last year.
- The most expensive gas price averages in Florida are in West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($2.52), Miami ($2.50), Naples ($2.47), and Homosassa Springs ($2.44).
- The least expensive gas price averages in Florida are in Jacksonville ($2.30), Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater ($2.30), and Orlando ($2.31)
Georgia gas prices averaged $2.29 on Sunday - the lowest since August 30. The state average declined 3.5 cents during the past week. Georgia gas prices are 11 cents less than a month ago, and 10 cents more than this time last year.
- The most expensive gas price averages in Georgia are in Savannah ($2.36), Brunswick ($2.32), and Columbus ($2.31)
- The least expensive gas price averages in Georgia are in Catoosa-Dade-Walker ($2.19), Dalton ($2.20), Warner Robins ($2.21)
Tennessee gas prices averaged $2.23 on Sunday - the lowest since August 30. The state average declined 3 cents during the past week. Tennessee gas prices are 10 cents less than a month ago, and 18 cents more than this time last year.
- The most expensive gas price averages in Tennessee are in Jackson ($2.34), Memphis ($2.27), and Nashville ($2.26)
- The least expensive gas price averages in Tennessee are in Chattanooga ($2.12), Cleveland ($2.13), and Clarksville-Hopkinsville ($2.16)
Highs and Lows of 2017*
- National: the highest average price for gasoline was $2.67 on September 8. The lowest was $2.23 on July 5.
- Florida: the highest average price in was $2.73 on September 9. The lowest was $2.13 on July 17.
- Georgia: the highest average price was $2.76 on September 12. The lowest was $2.08 on July 5.
- Tennessee: the highest average price was $2.60 on September 10. The lowest was $1.99 on July 5.
CURRENT AND PAST PRICE AVERAGES
Regular Unleaded Gasoline
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Highest Price on Record|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, financial services and travel offerings to over 9.4 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 57.7 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.