September 21, 2023


Forms, Permits & Licenses

| 3/20/2013

Launching a business typically involves paperwork. Unless you plan to go it alone -- as a sole proprietor with no employees, for example -- you will need to obtain certificates, licenses and permits in order to legally operate. Here’s what you need to get started.


Check websites or call city and county government offices in your area to determine if you will need a local business tax receipt (formerly called “occupational license”) and/or a zoning permit. Florida Small Business Development Centers also have information on licensing and permitting for cities and counties within their jurisdictions. Check to find a center near you.


  • is Florida’s official website providing links to state agencies and all types of information for new and existing businesses.
  • File a “Fictitious Name” registration with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations. Owners conducting business under a name other than their own must file, even if the name seems very similar. Corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and trademarked names do not have to file. For filing fees and to register a name online, visit
  • Obtain a state business or professional license, if necessary. Check with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to learn about license requirements, apply for or renew licenses, search license records and find exam information.
  • Collect state sales tax (and county sales surtax, if applicable) for applicable products and services and obtain a Certificate of Registration. The Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) issues certificates and monthly payment booklets. Register online for free or file Form DR-1. If the DOR tells you your business isn’t taxable, get it in writing.
  • File a “New Hire Reporting Form” for every newly hired and rehired employee, full- or part-time.
  • File quarterly unemployment tax reports and make payments to the Florida Department of Revenue if you have employees (apart from yourself). Read more about taxes here.


  • is the U.S. government’s official website for small business owners, providing the resources they need to comply with applicable laws and regulations and to take advantage of government programs and services aimed at helping them start, expand and run their businesses.
  • Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Online EIN application is the preferred method. Once you have completed the application, your information will be validated and an EIN will be issued immediately. To get started, go to and search for “EIN.” You also may obtain an EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933, or you can download Form SS-4 at Fax your completed form to (859) 669-5760, or mail it to: Internal Revenue Service, Attn: EIN Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999. Note: Applying for an EIN is a free service offered by the IRS; beware of websites that want to charge you for obtaining an EIN.
  • File quarterly or annual federal tax returns and an annual unemployment tax return. This is a requirement for most businesses with employees. Read more about taxes here.

Tags: Florida Small Business

Florida Business News

Ballot Box

Why do you believe Florida's teacher shortage is at an all time high?

  • New legislative restrictions
  • Parent/guardian involvement
  • Student disciplinary issues
  • Compensation
  • Curriculum

See Results

Florida Trend Media Company
490 1st Ave S
St Petersburg, FL 33701

© Copyright 2023 Trend Magazines Inc. All rights reserved.