December 9, 2022

Tuesday's Daily Pulse

What you need to know about Florida today

| 11/22/2022

Judge backs state, insurer on lawsuit change

Last week, Judge Angela Dempsey rejected a request by contractors for a preliminary injunction against Altmaier’s decision early this year to approve policy changes proposed by American Integrity Insurance Company of Florida. The changes involve trying to shift claims disputes to mediation and arbitration, rather than civil lawsuits [Source: News Service of Florida]

Florida Trend Exclusive
Only half of nation's current nurses would choose nursing career again

According to a survey by Boca Raton-based health care staffing firm Cross Country Healthcare and Florida Atlantic University’s Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, nly about half (52%) of the nation’s currently employed nurses say they would choose the field again, given a chance to go back in time to go back in time to advise their former selves. The remainder (48%) said they either wouldn’t choose to be nurses or don’t know whether they would choose the profession. [Source: Florida Trend]

Here’s when buyers might see more price cuts in the housing market

According to an analysis from Zillow, Mondays could be the best time to try and get a home with a price cut as 18% of listings have a price drop on that day in South Florida, based on historical trends. Realtor Jeff Grant suggests Mondays, or the beginning of the week, might have more listings with price cuts due to the fact that more showings are happening over the weekend. [Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel]

US supply chain under threat as unions, railroads, clash

Railroad engineers accepted their deal with the railroads that will deliver 24% raises but conductors rejected theirs, threatening the health of the economy just before the holidays and casting more doubt on whether the industry will be able to resolve the labor dispute before next month’s deadline without the help of Congress. Even the threat of a work stoppage could tangle the nation’s supply chain as railroads will freeze shipments of chemicals and other goods that could create hazards if disrupted midway to their destination. [Source: Tampa Bay Times]

UF’s technology is positively impacting Florida’s agriculture sector

According to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, in 2020, Florida was home to 47,400 commercial farms, covering over 9.7 million acres. All told, Florida farms contributed $7.8 billion to the state’s economy. Right now, Florida ranks 15th highest in total number of farms in the nation, but tech can help the state maintain and even grow our impact. [Source: Tallahassee Democrat]

Trend Mention

Mention ImageBest Companies To Work For In Florida

Is your company a great workplace? There’s still time to find out how your company stacks up. Register for this free program sponsored by Florida’s most influential business publication. The 100 top-rated Best Companies to Work For In Florida will be recognized in Florida Trend's August 2023 blockbuster issue. Register by Feb. 17, 2023 at BestCompaniesFLA.com.

ALSO AROUND FLORIDA:

› Brevard tourism agency tells potential visitors 'coast is clear' after Hurricanes Ian, Nicole
The Space Coast Office of Tourism has kicked off a special marketing campaign to assure potential visitors that Brevard County has avoided the brunt of Hurricanes Ian and Nicole — and the county is fully open for tourism.

› Florida congressional reps back resolution to honor the 75th anniversary of Everglades National Park
Last week, U.S. Rep. Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick, D-Fla., introduced a resolution honoring the 75th anniversary of Everglades National Park and affirms the U.S. House’s “commitment to the success of the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan.”

› How Tampa Bay’s high inflation could affect holiday shopping this year
St. Petersburg’s annual Shopapalooza Festival, a spirited holiday market happening over Thanksgiving weekend, is expected to be even bigger this year with over 350 local businesses participating. But event organizer Ester Venouziou said she’s telling vendors to temper expectations this year.

› FL Legislative Black Caucus elects new leader
With incumbents and new lawmakers convening Tuesday in the Legislature, state Rep. Dianne Hart will take a leadership role as chair of the Florida Legislative Black Caucus, a group of minority lawmakers established in the 1960s.

Go to page 2 for more stories ...

Tags: Daily Pulse

In case you missed it:

Florida Trend Video Pick

Splashdown: NASA prepares for the return of Artemis I Orion capsule
Splashdown: NASA prepares for the return of Artemis I Orion capsule

After 25 days of going around the moon, it's finally time for NASA's Orion spacecraft to return to earth. The Kennedy Space Center is planning for a watch party on Sunday, Dec. 11, which will give guests a chance to see the capsule land in the Pacific Ocean.

Video Picks | Viewpoints@FloridaTrend

Ballot Box

Is it your opinion that the coronavirus pandemic has ended in the United States?

  • Yes
  • No
  • Unsure
  • Need more information
  • Other (Please share your comments in the comment section below)

See Results

Florida Trend Media Company
490 1st Ave S
St Petersburg, FL 33701
727.821.5800

© Copyright 2022 Trend Magazines Inc. All rights reserved.