Business Florida 2020 - The Regions
Charlotte • Collier • Lee
Florida’s Southwest comprises just three counties. But what this region lacks in size, it more than makes up for in substance. In 2018, Collier County had the state’s highest per capita income — $85,421 — and its longest life expectancy. Fort Myers in Lee County was named “2018’s Fastest Growing City in America.” And Charlotte County remains a logistics powerhouse for its strategic location along I-75 between Tampa and Miami, providing easy access to 4 million potential customers within 90 miles. It’s no wonder so many corporate headquarters and thriving clusters of logistics, life sciences and manufacturing firms have found homes here.
Life Sciences / Health Care
Fort Myers-based NeoGenomics a provider of cancer-focused genetics testing services, will build a leading-edge cancer diagnostics testing facility and new global business headquarters near Southwest Florida International Airport. Expected to open in 2021, the 150,000-sq.-ft. facility will incorporate innovative technology to deliver comprehensive oncology testing for physicians and their patients. In addition, the lab will support clinical trials for new oncology therapeutics.
Medical device manufacturer Arthrex is putting the finishing touches on three additions at its nearly completed corporate headquarters campus in Naples: a six-story, 300,000-sq.-ft. Arthrex Event and Administration Building; a four-story, 170,000-sq.-ft. INNovation Hotel to accommodate visiting physicians who come to Naples for training in the use of surgical devices developed at Arthrex; and a two-story, 38,000-sq.-ft. Arthrex Wellness and Medical Center to serve employees and their families. Completion is anticipated in late 2019.
Meanwhile, health care options for consumers in this region continue to grow:
• In south Lee County, the region’s two primary health care providers — Lee Health and NCH Healthcare System — have opened freestanding ER-outpatient facilities in close proximity to one another. Lee Health Coconut Point in Estero and NCH Healthcare Bonita in Bonita Springs both began operations in December 2018.
• Coming to a site just five miles north of Lee Health’s Coconut Point in Estero: an 80-bed HCA acute care hospital. The land has been purchased, but no construction date set. Nashville-based HCA Healthcare currently operates 15 hospitals along Florida’s Gulf Coast including Fawcett Memorial Hospital in Port Charlotte.
• And it’s full steam ahead for Braden Clinic Hospital, the first hospital to be sited in eastern Collier County. Ground breaking for the 25-bed facility in Ave Maria is planned for November 2019. Currently, the nearest hospital serving Ave Maria and Immokalee health care consumers is an hour away in North Naples.
KEY PLAYERS: Arthrex, Naples; NeoGenomics, Fort Myers
Hertz, Chico’s FAS, 21st Century Oncology and Flightdocs are four familiar companies that have chosen to site their headquarters in Florida’s Southwest. Many more are making news in their respective industries and at least two are growing in size:
• Longtime Naples-based Conditioned Air will build a 52,710-sq.-ft. operations center in Fort Myers to support future growth, and nearly triple in size as a result. Roughly 10,800 square feet of office space, a 31,000-sq.-ft. warehouse and 11,000-sq.-ft. for storage and future expansion are anticipated.
• The Naples Children & Education Foundation, founding organization of the annual Naples Winter Wine Festival, broke ground in April 2019 on a 15,000-sq.-ft. structure in Naples, its first dedicated headquarters building. To cover the anticipated cost — $6.5 million — NCEF has embarked on a capital campaign separate from its signature annual wine festival event, which, since 2001 has raised more than $191 million.
KEY PLAYERS: Algenol Biotech, Fort Myers; Chico’s FAS, Fort Myers; Fox Electronics, Fort Myers; Hertz, Estero