Northeast Florida Roundup
Transition: John Delaney leaves UNF's new president a stronger university
- Developer Hart Resources plans to build about 160 townhouses on 25 acres off A1A. The property previously had mobile homes on it.
- Beverage distributor Champion Brands is building a $6-million, 36,000-sq.-ft. headquarters more than four times as large as its current office. The new building will have solar panels, a gym, a taproom for product sampling, a backyard fire pit and outdoor space for company barbecues. The company’s old office will be replaced with 40,000 square feet of new warehouse space, increasing its total warehouse capacity to 180,000 square feet.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars plan to redevelop parking lots surrounding their stadium with an entertainment district consisting of hotels, shops, restaurants, a parking garage and possibly housing. The Jaguars chose as their development partner Baltimore-based Cordish Cos., which specializes in large mixed-use projects anchored by sports teams. The Jaguars did not give a timetable for the project, saying only that it will happen “over a number of years and a number of phases.”
- Jacksonville-based Pet Paradise struck a deal with the Jaguars to create the NFL’s first in-stadium dog park. The park is to open near the south end zone in time for the 2018 football season. Pet Paradise will offer pet grooming and day care services at the stadium.
- Environmental law nonprofit Earthjustice sued JEA on behalf of Solar United Neighbors and the League of Women Voters of Florida, claiming the utility violated a state statute on net metering earlier this year when it lowered the amount it pays new customers for excess energy generated by residential solar panels from 10 cents per kilowatt hour to 3.25 cents.
- SentryOne, a technology firm based near Charlotte, N.C., acquired Jacksonville’s Pragmatic Works Software. Terms of the deal, which includes two U.S. locations and about 20 employees, were not disclosed.
Get Florida Trend's July magazine – print or digital. Select from these options:
* offer valid for new subscribers only