AAA Press Release
AAA Gas Price Brief: Gas prices higher in more than several years
TAMPA, Fla. — Americans are finding some of the most expensive gas prices in years. Sunday's national average of $2.76 per gallon is the highest daily average since July 2015.
"High oil prices are the main reason gasoline is so expensive right now," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "The price of oil is about 25% more than last year, as what used to be a global supply glut, is now tightening. Now the added expense for oil is making it more expensive to produce gasoline. In addition, gasoline demand is strong and inventories are down, as refineries wrap-up their maintenance season and begin pushing out summer-blend gasoline. So there are currently a number of factors keeping upward pressure on gas prices.
"If we haven't already, gas prices will hit their annual peak within the next couple weeks," Jenkins continued. "However, unforeseen circumstances like escalating geopolitical tensions or a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico would cause prices to surge. Unfortunately, oil prices could still remain elevated heading into the summer travel season. Which means, travelers will likely find the most expensive summer gas prices in four years."
- Oil prices are $15/b higher than this time last year
- Half the price of gasoline is determined by the price of oil
- Oil prices are higher than a year ago due to strong global demand and reduced supply glut
|Summertime Gas Prices (June-August)|
Gas Price Tools for Reporters/Consumers
- GasPrices.AAA.com - Daily national, state, and metro gas price averages.
- AAA Mobile app - Free app that shows current prices at a gas station near you.
Regional Gas Prices
Florida gas prices are now the highest in more than three years. Sunday's state average of $2.74 per gallon, is 2 cents less than the national average and 11 cents more than last week.
- Florida's state average surpassed last year's high of $2.73 on Thursday, becoming the highest daily average price since December 2014.
- Florida ranks 20th among states with the highest gas prices
- It costs $5 more to fill an average-sized tank of gasoline, compared to this time last year
- Florida motorists pay $41 to fill an average-sized tank of gasoline
- The most expensive gas price averages in Florida today are in West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($2.86), Crestview-Fort Walton Beach ($2.81), and Fort Lauderdale ($2.80)
- The least expensive gas price averages in Florida are in Punta Gorda ($2.69), Orlando ($2.69), and Jacksonville ($2.69)
Georgia gas prices set a fresh new 2018-high last week. Saturday's state average of $2.66 is the highest since September, when prices were recovering from hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Sunday's state average of $2.66 is 10 cents less than the national average and 38 cents more than this time last year.
- The most expensive gas price averages in Georgia are in Savannah ($2.69), Brunswick ($2.69), and Atlanta ($2.68)
- The least expensive gas price averages in Georgia are in Warner Robins ($2.57), Catoosa-Dade-Walker ($2.58), Dalton ($2.59)
- Georgia ranks 31st among states with the highest gas prices
- It costs $40 to fill an average-sized tank of gasoline
- Georgia motorists pay $6 more for a full tank of gasoline, compared a year ago
Tennessee gas prices set a fresh new 2018 high. Sunday's state average of $2.55 is the highest since September, when prices were recovering from hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
The average price in Tennessee is 3 cents more than a week ago and 37 cents more than this time last year.
- The most expensive gas price averages in Tennessee are in Kingsport-Bristol ($2.59), Morristown ($2.58), and Nashville ($2.57)
- The least expensive gas price averages in Tennessee are in Chattanooga ($2.48), Memphis ($2.51), Clarksville-Hopkinsville ($2.52)
- Tennessee ranks 11th among states with the lowest gas prices
- It costs $38 to fill an average-sized tank of gasoline in Tennessee
- Tennessee motorists pay $6 more for a full tank of gas, compared to this time last year
Highs and Lows of 2018
- National: the highest average price for gasoline was $2.76 on April 22; the lowest was $2.49 on January 3.
- Florida: the highest average price was $2.74 on April 20; the lowest was $2.44 on January 2.
- Georgia: the highest average price was $ on April 21; the lowest was $2.35 on January 2.
- Tennessee: the highest average price was $2.55 on April 22; the lowest was $2.26 on January 1.
CURRENT AND PAST PRICE AVERAGES
Regular Unleaded Gasoline
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Highest Price on Record|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, financial services and travel offerings to over 9.5 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 58 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.