Photo: Universal Studios
AAA's Top 10 Spring Break Destinations; Half of Florida Travelers to Take a Spring Fling
AAA Unveils Top 10 Most Popular Spring Break Destinations
TAMPA, Fla., (February 21, 2018) – Spring Break is next month for many Americans, and warm weather destinations top the list for travelers looking to escape the cold.
Three Florida cities are among AAA’s 10 Most Popular Destinations for the month of March – based on air and tour bookings made with the travel agency. Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale top the list, while Miami is 8th. Other popular destinations include Honolulu, Cancun, Maui, and Montego Bay.
AAA’s Top 10 Spring Break Destinations
- Orlando, FL
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Honolulu, HI
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Cancun, Mexico
- Anaheim, California
- Kahului, HI (Maui)
- Miami, FL
- Phoenix, AZ
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
“Florida is a perfect spring break destination for people traveling with family or friends,” said Vicky Evans, Assistant Vice President, Travel Sales Development, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Travelers love Florida for its warm weather, world-famous attractions, beautiful beaches, and its array of AAA Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants that fit any budget.
“Hawaii and Mexico, which are also favorite hot spots for spring breakers, are even more popular this year,” Evans continued. “After last year’s hurricanes struck the Eastern Caribbean, travelers turned to Hawaii and Mexico, as alternatives. Fortunately, the Eastern Caribbean has recovered and travel providers are offering incentives to get people back into the region.”
Spring Break Travel – By the Numbers
A recent Consumer Pulse™ survey of Floridians, who are planning a vacation in 2018, revealed the following:
- 55% of Florida travelers will take a spring break vacation of 3 days or more
- 43% will travel with family
- 12% will travel with friends
- 80% of Florida millennials will take a spring break vacation of 3 days or more
- 61% of millennials will travel with family
- 19% will travel with their friends
“Spring break is not just for college kids who want to party on the beach,” Evans continued. “This is often the first chance of the year when the entire family can take a break and go somewhere together. The popularity of this time of year leads to reduced availability and higher prices, but using a trusted travel advisor can be beneficial in finding options to meet your needs.”
Tips for Planning your Next Vacation
- Book Early – Booking early gives you both the luxury of selecting the best cruise cabin or preferred seat on your flight, at a more competitive rate. As hotels, cruises, and flights fill-up, prices usually rise due to lower availability.
- Use a Travel Agent – Not only can they advise you on where to go and what to do when you get there, but also hook you up with exclusive upgrades, find competitive pricing, and help you find what you need to know about your destination. Visit AAA.com/TravelAgent to find a travel advisor near you.
- Consider Travel Insurance – When the unexpected happens, travel insurance can be your safety net. Hurricanes, flight cancellations, even illness while overseas could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. While travel insurance can vary in both coverage and price, you can find policies that reimburse you for health emergencies and/or out-of- pocket expenses due to a delayed/cancelled flight or other situations that prevent you from going. Interestingly, half of all claims are based on things that occur before the trip.
- Know Your Destination – Are you traveling abroad? Can you bring your pet? Refer to the U.S. Department of State to find information regarding visa requirements, what you can bring, and detailed travel alerts and warnings.
- Know Your Benefits – Take advantage of benefits provided by credit cards and membership programs. For example, AAA members can save money on dining, shopping, hotels, rental cars, and attraction tickets. Click here to learn more.
About the AAA Consumer Pulse™ Survey
The AAA Consumer Pulse™ Survey was conducted online among residents living in Florida from October 10, 2017 – October 30, 2017. A total of 401 residents completed the survey. Results have a maximum margin of error of ± 5.4 percentage points. Responses are weighted by gender and age to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the adult population (18+) in Florida.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, financial services and travel offerings to over 9.4 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 57.7 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.