East Central / Space Coast: Building on Strength
Simulation and life sciences join aviation/aerospace as anchors for this region's diverse economy.
Demographics for the East Central/ Space Coast Region can be found at Business Florida's interactive map of Florida.
|East Central/ Space Coast Resources:
• Beacon College
• Bethune-Cookman College
• Brevard Community College
• Daytona State College
• DeVry University
• Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
• Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences
• Florida Institute of Technology
• Florida Technical University
• Full Sail University
• Lake Sumter Community College
• Rollins College
• Seminole Community College
• Stetson University
• University of Central Florida
• Valencia Community College
Add to that a growing presence in life sciences and biotechnology, with plans for a “medical city” in the huge Lake Nona development near Orlando International Airport and an increased focus on “economic gardening” — fostering companies that can grow and create jobs.
Emerging Medical City
At the 7,000-acre Lake Nona development in southeast Orlando, a “medical city” is rapidly taking shape. Projects scheduled to open in the next several years include:
- Burnham Institute for Medical Research — East Coast headquarters of the
La Jolla, Calif.-based laboratory
- The University of Central Florida (UCF) College of Medicine — opening in fall 2009 with an inaugural class of 40
- Nemours Children’s Hospital — a 95-bed specialty pediatrics hospital and clinic
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center — includes a 134-bed hospital, nursing home and outpatient clinic
- University of Florida Research Facility — a partnership with Burnham Institute to study diabetes, aging, genetics and cancer
- MD Anderson Orlando Cancer Center Research Institute — sister facility to the Houston-based hospital ranked tops in the nation for cancer care
Healthcare Hub: Cutting-edge medical facilities already at home in Orlando/Orange County include:
Florida Hospital Orlando — ranked one of “America’s Best Hospitals” by U.S. News & World Report for 10 consecutive years.
Global Robotics Institute — using robot-assisted laparoscopic technology for urological, gynecological, colorectal and cardiac procedures.
Nicholson Center for Surgical Advancement — providing long-distance training in intricate surgical procedures via teleconferencing.