Icon: Gary Mormino
Historian, author, USF St. Petersburg professor, age 65
[Photo: Michael Heape]
» I thought it was tacky. Incredibly hot in summer. For the first three years, I would have gone back to Illinois in a second for a much-lesser job.
» I was in Italy on a Fulbright in 1980, maybe the most significant year in modern Florida history. You had the Miami race riot. The Haitian boat people washing ashore in Miami. Mariel. You had the English-only amendment on the ballot. I was in Rome, and I would read the newspapers and I said to myself:
The greatest story of your life is unfolding every single day — in
» You could buy a Jim Walter home mid-1950s for $3,000. This was a generation willing to start out at the bottom. They didn't need a fancy house.
» I've never been the smartest lightbulb in the room, but I work really hard. The first draft is not very good. But the sixth draft can be pretty good.
» To be a Floridian I think you have to be an optimist. You hope you're going to live longer than anyone imagines and that you'll do all these things you probably won't do: Canoe a river, wrestle an alligator, marry again.
» Apparently Yeehaw Junction's location, halfway between Orlando and some southeast Florida metro areas, makes it an ideal place for separated couples to drop off and hand over children when the kids' visitation is over. The turnpike's welcome centers/fast-food establishments provide a place where out-of-control fathers or mothers will likely behave. A sad commentary.
» I cooked my way through college. The hardest job in America is short-order cook.
» My idealized Ybor City is the 1920s or 1930s. But it's still my favorite place in Florida. Still the most interesting, romantic, exotic place I've ever seen. The perfect example of the new and old worlds.
» Every book I wrote prior to about eight years ago, I wrote longhand.
» I've never been in agreement with my colleagues that you'll need to cut people off at the border. If you're at DeSoto Beach tonight and you see that sunset, you don't really care if there are 19 million other people in this state. There's something extraordinary about that communion of humans, a sunset and saltwater.
» I loved interviewing immigrants. Their stories were so amazing. José Vega Días was 95 years old, a Cuban immigrant, telling me stories about the late 19th century. He was here during the Spanish-American War. He was on a streetcar and the Rough Riders were on the streetcar giving the conductor a hard time. The conductor threw them off. They got out and lifted the trolley off the tracks. I interviewed him at the La Hacienda de Ybor retirement complex, one of the few promises the government kept to that generation. In '65, the home that he and his wife, Blanca, had lived in for more than 50 years was going to be knocked down by urban renewal. His wife died that night. She said we can't move.
» Present-mindedness can really drag you down.
» Our ability to persevere and endure is much greater than we think. But no one seems to have a plan of action. We need the alternative. The alternative is the new Florida dream. But no one has unveiled that. I don't think it's simply cutting back government and giving companies incentives to come here.
» The most hostile audience I ever had was Marco Island. Huge crowd. Hands raised. Someone said, 'Maybe you can settle this debate we've been having a long time.' And they are right about this — Marco Islanders live longer than any other people in Florida. They said, 'We're not sure why. Some of us think it's the water, and others think it's the air.' And I said, 'It's probably because you're rich. And, by the way, congratulations. You've won the lottery. Rich people have better medical care, better diets and so on.' They would have nothing of it. Only in America would you be insulted being called rich.
» The fact that the son of a fourth-grade dropout could become a college professor is just a miracle. What a great country.
» I love 'The Yearling' because you should read it as a child and you should read it as a mid-adult, the age of Ma and Pa Baxter. It's a book for the ages. There's a passage at the end that always has the students in tears. When Jody runs away, Pa has killed his deer, and he comes back. Pa sits him down and says 'You've done come back different. You ain't a yearlin' no longer.' That's Florida. Florida is no longer a yearling.
» The greatest ritual will always remain — having a good cup of coffee in the morning, reading a good newspaper and finding good stuff to clip out.
In case you missed it:
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga