Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
First Republican governor since Reconstruction, 1967-71; Born 1926; Died Sept. 28, 2011 at age 85.
Claude R. Kirk Jr. [Photo: Ray Stanyard]
» I want to get buried on the Capitol grounds. I was the first Republican, and I did change government. Nobody knows why government changed in Florida. If one guy is buried here, it causes you to think about it. ‘What did he do? What did he say? What has happened since then?’
» We live in West Palm, a cookie-cutter kind of house, three bedrooms, two baths. If you don’t steal while you’re governor, it’s a lousy job.
» I had come to Florida in ’56, built a life insurance company, obviously with the help of big shots with the financing. As a businessman, I got into an organization called the Young Presidents’ Organization. We had a thesis: Businessmen ought to be in government.
» I was disgusted with the fact that we business guys in Florida were paying for these cruddy ... politicians that were doing bad things, maybe not crooked — yeah, they all were crooked — but there was no drugs, none of that.
» The future leaders are Marco Rubio, Frank Brogan — he’s going to come back — Adam Putnam. All these could one day be governor.
» The big problem of today is one I attacked that nobody cared about, water. Water is in shortage, is it not? The need for water is quite clear, and I will be pushing that.
» Politicians kind of stayed in their own vapor so to speak. I don’t know if that’s clear, but you didn’t have to be so close to people. The truth of the matter is (Nixon) — I don’t know how to describe it — he was kind of a cold turkey. There were things about him. He just couldn’t stand people to touch him personally. Certainly, putting my arm around him, he’d flinch.
» I’d like to be remembered, period. I would hope as somebody who saw the opportunity to change government if it needs to be changed.
» You know who Nat Reed is? He taught me how to spell environment. I got good people in this state. Environmental legacy: Putting the right people in the right place. All the environmental laws of the United States were created in the following way. Nat Reed explained it to me, and we created what is now our DEP. When Nixon came in ’68, Nat Reed and I explained to him the environment and from that was created the President’s Council on the Environment ... and from that came the EPA. We’ve got a lot more work to do. The environmentalists are getting lost by some hustlers in some situations, not the least of which is the U.S. Sugar deal.
» When you become an executive, you become a leader. When you’re a senator, you become a legislator. The two are different.
» It’s amazing — I’m not being negative — that the Legislature has stayed in the Republican power all this time. You would think the Democrats would have done much better.
» I maintained peace and quiet while I demanded equal opportunity. Everybody else was burning around but not in Florida — because I was showing up and stopping it because I was there. Government’s got to be personal.
» As a student of history, when I heard he was coming (Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee activist H. Rap Brown who came to Jacksonville in 1967) ... I said call our National Guard and find me a black officer. I said I don’t want any police anywhere near that ballpark, all security away. We drove up and walked to the third base. When you have a riot, people wait until the sun goes down. He’s on the pitcher’s mound. He was pretty good to start with. When it got dark is when he started making noise. So I got up and walked up to the microphone and took it away from him. It became one-on-one. He didn’t know what the hell to do. Neither did I. Everyone’s pressing around on us. And one black man whispered in my ear in this crowd, ‘Don’t worry, governor, nothing will happen to you.’
» I cleaned up all the cheap, crooked politicians. If you allow me the ego ... I not only cleansed the state when I started, but I then cleansed the Democratic Party for all intents and purposes to where they created some real talent. Reubin is real talent. Philosophically he’s who he was. The first thing he did, which as far as I’m concerned did terrible damage to the state, was to allow for the teachers union to exist and then to go allow the public service unions to exist. The problem is the school teachers have a union created by Reubin Askew and that union is a power in and of itself, not for education, but for protecting itself.
» I coined the phrase ‘push-outs, shove-outs and drop-outs.’ Forty percent of our children don’t finish the ninth grade and, of course, 80% of those 40% are black. That’s not making sense.
» Talking about the legacy, serious problem. When Crist stops being governor, my little picture in the hall gets pushed off into the drink. They don’t have any more room. Now, the problem is MacKay and Wayne Mixson have the biggest portraits in the world’s history for their 36 seconds in power, which is pushing me out. There’s no space. And, of course, you know, that’s a tragedy. Because here I got the little Republican portrait that I paid for and the rest of these bastards have these tremendous things. Nobody else (paid for theirs). I philosophically thought that was right. So you ask me about my destiny. I guess my destiny is out the door.
In case you missed it:
- Ronald ‘Winky' Wright is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Steve Spurrier, Florida Icon
- Wilson Bradshaw is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga