Photo: Michael HeapeMeet Florida "Icon" George Billiris
An Interview with George Billiris
Sponge industrialist, Tarpon Springs; age 89
» My mother was big on education, but I'd go sponging every summer. At 14 years old, I was making as much money as the local bank president — not only me, but all the divers. In the winter, I'd go to school.
» The reason I'm in Tarpon Springs is because my grandfather was invited to help develop the sponge industry here. Greece had a sponge industry and was the only country in the world that had sponge divers. It was right around 1900. They found an abundance of sponge here, and immediately the migration started. The industry went from nothing, no boats, to 180 boats, and Tarpon Springs became the sponge capital of the world.
» You want success? Help other people be successful. You only get what you give.
» If you take a look at the history of the natural sponge, you'll see it goes back thousands of years. Cleopatra would use a natural sponge when she bathed in goat's milk. You'll find a natural sponge in King Tut's grave, embalmed, because it is an animal. And also, when Christ was crucified and he asked for water, they gave him vinegar from a sponge.
» Without a sense of humor, you're out of luck. There's a bright side to all of it, regardless of how bad it really is.
» In today's world, you have about 1,400 commercial uses for natural sponge. Anything that has to do with the cleansing or the smoothing of an object in the commercial world, they use a natural sponge. The demand for the natural sponge on the world market is 12 times greater than the supply. The problem is lack of supply. The natural sponge does a better job than the synthetic sponge, but, today, in my eyes, the synthetic sponge is a necessary evil.
» My father's words to me were: 'Work is like medicine. It cures everything.' I believe I have an advantage over someone who is not multicultural because I'm enjoying both cultures.
» Tourism has become very important to Tarpon Springs. The youngsters have 102 gift shops and I think 25 restaurants down here now. They'll do very well, but what they must not forget and what they must build on is the Greek culture and the sponge industry.
» I remember going to school and playing football, of course, and I remember the guy on the PA system. We were playing Clear water High and he named all the players, you know, and when he got to Tarpon Springs, everyone was Greek, or 95% to 99% of us, so he could hardly pronounce our names. But we had a quarterback out of Palm Harbor and his name was Smith.
» The announcer was like, 'Oh my God we have a Smith!' — a name he could finally pronounce.
» Let's don't act like something. Let's be something.
» The people who came here from Greece came here without money, without knowing the language, without anything, and yet they developed a great industry and made us what we are today.
» Every kid has their little cell phone or their little iPads or e-pads or whatever you call them. We're going into a totally computerized world, which is good and not good. We're losing the basic fundamentals of life, and we don't even see it.
» We had the BP spill not long ago. That wiped out the sponges in deep water and north Florida, so now the boats are working inshore.
» The populace of America is from all over the world. Because you've been here two generations longer than the next guy doesn't make you a better American. It doesn't make you a better citizen. You cannot, and must not, and should not take a paintbrush and just say, 'no more Muslims, no more Greeks, no more this, no more that.'
» A sponge diver is the type of person who is not afraid.
» My father's generation, they lived the law of common sense. They didn't learn anything from books. They learned from living, and that's the way we learned. There were sayings for everything, like: 'Don't wait until you're hungry to cook.'
» Unfortunately, Florida is moving away from its primary resources, which are fisheries and citrus.
» I plan to go out this summer for the last time and make one more dive. I'll probably work anywhere from 30- to 40-feet deep, west-northwest of here. It used to be my favorite spot, the place where I got started. I miss it.
In case you missed it:
- Ronald ‘Winky' Wright is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Steve Spurrier, Florida Icon
- Wilson Bradshaw is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga