Entities that transact business in Florida as Florida Limited Partnerships or Limited Liability Limited Partnerships are required by Florida Statutes to file a Certificate of Limited Partnership with the Division of Corporations and pay the registration fees.
Any legal or commercial business entity listed as a General Partner must have an active registration or filing with the Division.
A Foreign Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Limited Partnership must submit an Application by Foreign Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Limited Partnership for Authorization to Transact Business in Florida, a certificate of existence from its home state or country, and the applicable registration fees.
All limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships or limited liability limited partnerships that register with the Division must file an annual report each year between January 1 and May 1 and pay the filing fee.
Limited partnerships or limited liability limited partnerships filing the annual report after May 1 will be subject to a late fee, which cannot be waived. Failure to file the annual report by the third Friday of September will result in the administrative revocation of authority to transact business in Florida. Partnership registration documents must bear original signatures. Photocopied documents bearing original signatures are acceptable; however, photocopied signatures are not acceptable. Documents must be typewritten or printed legibly in the English language.
A partnership is an association of two or more persons to carry on a business for profit as co-owners.
A general partnership is an association of two or more partners, each as a general partner with full status of unlimited personal liability and managerial control.
A limited partnership is a partnership formed by two or more persons, under the laws of Florida, having one or more general partners and one or more limited partners with limited liability and little or no managerial control (i.e., investors only).
A foreign limited partnership is a partnership formed by two or more persons under the laws of any state other than Florida or of any other country, and having as partners one or more general partners and one or more limited partners.
A limited liability partnership is a general partnership that maintains an active registration with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations, by which it is afforded certain limitations in a general partner’s liability.
A limited liability limited partnership is a limited partnership that maintains an active registration or election with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations, by which it is afforded certain limitations in a general partner’s liability.
Basic Information Required to File a Partnership Registration Statement:
- The name of the partnership
- The state or country of formation
- The Federal Employer Identification number (FEI)
- The street address of the chief executive office
- The street address of the principal office in Florida, if applicable
- In accordance with s. 620.8105(1)(c)(1 & 2), Florida Statutes, required partner information must be provided in one of the following options:
a] Attach a list of the names and mailing addresses of ALL partners and Florida registration numbers, if other than individuals, or:
b] Provide the name and street address of the agent in Florida who shall maintain a list of the names and mailing addresses of all partners. If agent is other than an individual, provide the Florida registration number of the entity.
- The typed or printed names of two partners and their signatures, attesting under penalties of perjury that the facts stated in the document are true. The date signed.
(Optional) Effective date, if other than the date of filing. Effective date cannot be prior to nor more than 90 days after the date of filing.
LIMITED LIABILITY PARTNERSHIPS - FLORIDA AND FOREIGN
Basic Information Required to File a Florida or Foreign Limited Liability Partnership:
- The name of the partnership as identified in the records of the Florida Department of State and the Florida registration number. If not registered, attach a completed Partnership Registration Statement and the filing fee.
- The limited liability partnership suffix adopted for the partnership (“Registered Limited Liability Partnership”, “Limited Liability Partnership”, “R.L.L.P.”, “L.L.P.”, “RLLP” or “LLP”)
- The street address of its chief executive office if different from the current recorded address
- The street address of the principal office in Florida if different from its chief executive office address
- The name and Florida street address of the partnership’s agent for service of process. If agent is other than an individual, the entity must have an active Florida registration.
- A statement that the partnership elects to be a limited liability partnership
- Effective date, if other than the date of filing. Effective date cannot be prior to nor more than 90 days after the date of filing.
- Signature of a partner or authorized person attesting under penalties of perjury that the facts stated in the document are true. The date signed.