Photo: Bob Croslin, Tampa Bay Times
Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
Former U.S. congressman and Florida legislator, Tampa; died Oct. 10 at age 92
Editor’s note: On Oct. 5, five days before he died, Sam Gibbons was interviewed by Florida Trend’s Art Levy. Gibbons, dealing with balance problems, sat in a wheelchair, but was otherwise strong and energetic during the nearly two-hour session. He spoke about growing up in Tampa, his role in the 1944 D-Day invasion, his friendship with John Kennedy and his career in public service, which included 34 years in the U.S. Congress and 10 years in the Florida Legislature. Gibbons said he was happy and his only regrets weren’t big enough to even talk about. “I don’t have anything to cry about,” he said. “The only thing I worry about is tomorrow.”
» The war made me a very serious person. I became more interested in the welfare of those around me.
» Politicians seem to be having a harder time today. I don’t know how much of that is self-inflicted. I really think it’s the unlimited amount of campaign money that’s the problem.
» The first time I ever appeared in a newspaper was in a fishing column. The guy wrote about the two 10-pound grouper I caught in about 20 minutes out in front of my grandmother’s house in Haven Beach, by Indian Rocks Beach. About 100 yards off the front of her home was a reef, a little reef that was just loaded with fish. I’d paddle out there in a canoe. They ran my picture holding these two 10-pound grouper. That was my first public appearance.
» When I went to Congress, Florida had about 3 million people. By the time I got out of Congress, Florida was up to about 18 or 19 million people. Florida was addicted to growth, but a lot of the temporary prosperity that comes about from growth just isn’t here anymore.
» In 1942, I became dissatisfied with the work I was doing in the Army, so I joined the parachute troops. It worried the dickens out of my parents, but I sure knew I would be no worse off than I would be in the regular infantry.
» My father was a lawyer. There are 13 or 14 lawyers in the Gibbons family. I’m number seven.
» I landed in a pasture. I was all by myself. I had a general understanding of where I was, but I didn’t know exactly. When I got out of my parachute harness and got rid of the other stuff I didn’t need, I turned over on my belly and started crawling toward the nearest fence line. About halfway, I ran into a very warm cow pie. Ha! I said, ‘Oh’ – I won’t say the next word I said – and then I realized, well, I’m lucky because if there are cows in this field, it sure isn’t mined, and land mines were one of the things we were worried about.
» Dishonesty gets me angry.
» When I went to Washington, I had the friendship of the president, the vice president and all of their staff. You can’t express what an asset that was. One of the mayors of Tampa — and I won’t tell you who it was — he said to me one time, ‘Sam, you’re getting me so much money. I never dreamed there was this much money available at the federal level.’
» When I was a kid, I liked to dig holes, but they weren’t permanent. Nothing’s permanent in the Florida sand.
» I still like to help people. I try to help them make decisions. When people stop by to chat, they always leave with a little advice.
» Our health care system today is a mess. When I was chairman of the Ways and Means Committee in 1994, I got the first health care bill approved in committee and got it to the House floor for vote, but then President Clinton decided he couldn’t push it through into the Senate and so we dropped the thing. That’s a frustration. You end up with a lot of frustrations when you’re in Congress.
» I don’t think we really know who killed John Kennedy. I think Lee Harvey Oswald is the one who fired the shot, but I think the plot was deeper than that. I talked to quite a few members of the investigating committee, and they said that when they started their hearings on investigating the assassination, the FBI came in with one hard line: There was one person; his name was Lee Harvey Oswald; he’s dead; and we don’t think there was anyone else involved. Well, I don’t know.
» The governor, I’d rather not get into that topic. I pray for him. Florida doesn’t need a bad governor. We have enough problems without one.
» War stinks. It really not only smells bad, but it stinks. I think one of the more important things that Americans must understand is that we are only 4% of all of the people on Earth — 4%! We are not big enough to run the whole world. We’ve got to have allies and friends. Countries that trade together don’t fight each other, so I always tried to promote commerce with foreign countries.
» We met at 8:30 Monday morning at MacDill Air Force Base and I rode with President Kennedy in Tampa. I never dreamed Tampa was such a good Democratic town until I went with him on that motorcade. People came up and stood in lines and waved at him and yelled. I kept waiting to hear a ‘Hey, Sam!’ He told me how pleased he was at the reception. Tuesday at 2 a.m., we were back in Washington, and I said goodbye to him on the White House lawn. There was a nice limousine waiting to take me to my home. The president and I shook hands and I thanked him for including me in his entourage. I guess ‘good night’ was the last thing he said to me. Four days later, he was dead.
» Like most people who are 92, I have good days and bad days. Today is a good day.
In case you missed it:
- Sherrill Milnes is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Pedro José Greer Jr.
- Al Hoffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Ronald ‘Winky' Wright is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Steve Spurrier, Florida Icon
- Wilson Bradshaw is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Craig Fugate is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Michael Saunders is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Joey Cornblit is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alex Sink is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Norman Braman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Bello Nock is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Zev Buffman is a ‘Florida Icon'
- M.J. Soileau is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Susan Benton is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Terry Stiles is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Theresa Manuel is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Dan ‘Tater' Porter is a Florida Icon
- Joe Redner is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Nicole Johnson is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ron Magill is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Artis Gilmore is a ‘Florida Icon'
- An Interview with George Billiris
- Frank Morsani is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Alto ‘Bud' Adams Jr. is a ‘Florida Icon'
- Winston Scott is a 'Florida Icon'
- Florida Icon: Carlton Ward Jr.
- Florida Icon: Mel Tillis
- Robert M. 'Bob' Beall II is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Peter Meinke - A life in poetry
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron is a Florida Icon
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Stetson Kennedy
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga