Business Basics Beyond Basics dba Florida Try It Resources


September 26, 2018

Forms, Permits & Licenses

Federal, state and local governments each require separate forms, permits and licenses. Here's an easy guide.

| 3/2/2009

Florida Division of Corporations, Sunbiz
(Fictitious Names)
(850) 245-6058

Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Licensing
(850) 487-1395

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Licensing
and Permitting
(850) 488-2221

Florida New Hire Reporting Center
(888) 854-4791

Florida Department of Revenue
(800) 352-3671

Internal Revenue Service
(800) 829-4933


» Call city and county government offices to see if they require a local business tax receipt (formerly an occupational license) and/or zoning permit. For local business tax receipts, check with the city clerk or county tax collector. Fees vary by type of business and location. Many municipalities now make the forms available online.

» County planning departments or city building inspection divisions can provide information on who needs zoning permits. Much of this information is available on city and county websites.

» Small Business Development Centers often have detailed information on licensing and permitting in cities, counties and other entities in their area. Find an SBDC near you by checking or "Resources" for a complete listing.


» Check Florida’s official website,, for links to all types of state information for new and existing businesses.

» File a “Fictitious Name” registration with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations. Owners conducting business under a name other than their own must file, even if the name seems very similar. Thomas Graphics, for example, is owned by Christopher Thomas. Although his last name is part of the business name, he still must file. For filing fees and to register a name online, check the Division of Corporation’s Sunbiz website.

» Obtain a state business or professional license, if necessary. Check with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to apply for licenses, renew licenses, search license records and find exam information.

» Collect sales tax, both state and in some cases county, for many products and services and have a Certificate of Registration. The Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) issues certificates and monthly payment booklets. Owners can register online for free or file Form DR-1 ($5 one-time charge). If the DOR tells you your business isn’t taxable, get it in writing.

» File a “New Hire Reporting Form” for every new employee, full-time or part-time.
If you have employees (apart from yourself), file quarterly unemployment tax reports and make payments to the DOR.


» File form SS-4 with the Internal Revenue Service and receive a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). (Some sole proprietorships do not need an EIN.) To apply for an EIN online, go to and search for EIN. By telephone, call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933. Or, download an SS-4 at and mail the form to: Internal Revenue Service, Attn: EIN Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999.

» File quarterly or annual federal tax returns and an annual unemployment tax return. This step is required for most businesses with employees. (See “Taxes”)

Business Toolbox
The Basics
Choosing a Legal Structure
Preparing a Business Plan
Fast Money Factoring
Certified Development Cos
SBA Lending
Forms, Permits & Licenses
Copyrights & Trademarks
Labor Law Basics
Insurance Basics
Selling to the Government

Tags: Florida Small Business

Florida Business News

Ballot Box

How do you prefer to listen to recorded music?

  • Local radio
  • Streaming services
  • CDs
  • Records
  • I dont' listen to music much
  • Other (comments welcome)

See Results