May 20, 2022

Business Toolbox

Forms, Permits & Licenses

Federal, state and local governments have their own filing requirements. Here’s an easy guide.

| 3/1/2010


Florida Division of Corporations, Sunbiz
(Fictitious Names)
(850) 245-6058

Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Licensing
(850) 487-1395

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Licensing
(800) 435-7352 Florida only

Florida New Hire Reporting Center
(888) 854-4791

Florida Department of Revenue
(800) 352-3671

Internal Revenue Service
(800) 829-4933


» Call city and county government offices to see if they require a local business tax receipt (formerly an occupational license) and/or zoning permit. For local business tax receipts, check with the city clerk or county tax collector. Fees vary by type of business and location. Many municipalities now make the forms available online.

» County planning departments or city building inspection divisions can provide information on who needs zoning permits. Much of this information is available on city and county websites.

» Small Business Development Centers often have detailed information on licensing and permitting in cities, counties and other entities in their area. Find an SBDC near you by checking or click to see a complete listing.



» Check Florida’s official website,, for links to all types of state information for new and existing businesses.

» File a “Fictitious Name” registration with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations. Owners conducting business under a name other than their own must file, even if the name seems very similar. (Corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and trademarked names do not have to file.) Thomas Graphics, for example, is owned by Christopher Thomas. Although his last name is part of the business name, he still must file. As of July 1, 2009, the name also must be advertised at least once in a newspaper in the county in which the principal place of business will be located. For filing fees and to register a name online, check the Division of Corporation’s Sunbiz website,

» Obtain a state business or professional license, if necessary. Check with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to apply for licenses, renew licenses, search license records and find exam information.

» Collect sales tax, both state and in some cases county, for many products and services and have a Certificate of Registration. The Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) issues certificates and monthly payment booklets. Owners can register online for free or file Form DR-1 ($5 one-time charge). If the DOR tells you your business isn’t taxable, get it in writing.

» File a “New Hire Reporting Form” for every new employee, full time or part time.

» If you have employees (apart from yourself), file quarterly unemployment tax reports and make payments to the DOR.



» File form SS-4 with the Internal Revenue Service and receive a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). (Generally, a sole proprietor should file only one SS-4 and needs one EIN regardless of the number of businesses operated as sole proprietorships.)

To apply for an EIN online, go to and search for EIN, call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933 or, download an SS-4 at and mail the form to: Internal Revenue Service, Attn: EIN Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999.

» File quarterly or annual federal tax returns and an annual unemployment tax return. This step is required for most businesses with employees. (See “Taxes”)

Tags: Florida Small Business


Florida Business News

Ballot Box

If Ron DeSantis ran for President in the 2024 elections, would you vote for him?

  • Yes
  • No
  • Unsure
  • Other (Please share your comments in the comment section below)

See Results

Florida Trend Media Company
490 1st Ave S
St Petersburg, FL 33701

© Copyright 2022 Trend Magazines Inc. All rights reserved.