by Paul Rusnak
Updated 6 months ago
It’s been nearly two years since five Florida farming operations were announced as the lucky recipients of exclusive state licenses to grow, process, and dispense medicinal cannabis, each meeting strict criteria just to qualify for the opportunity. Fast forward through multiple twists and turns regarding the Sunshine State’s budding medical marijuana industry, and the number of licenses granted by the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) to eager nurseries has risen to 12.
The latest recipients include Treadwell Nursery in Eustis, Loop’s Nursery & Greenhouses in Jacksonville, and Sun Bulb Nurseries in Arcadia.
Recently, Ruskin-based 3 Boys Farm and neighboring Plants of Ruskin got the go-ahead from the FDOH following a court ruling that proved the nurseries worthy of one of the state’s coveted Medical Marijuana Treatment Center (MMTC) licenses.
According to Mara Gambineri of the FDOH, the five newcomers fulfill requirements set forth in Senate Bill 8A.
The current MMTC lineup in Florida now consists of the following firms:
- Aphria (Formerly CHT Medical, Chestnut Hill Tree Farm)
- The Green Solution (San Felasco Nurseries)
- Trulieve (Hackney Nursery)
- Surterra Therapeutics (Alpha Foliage)
- Modern Health Concepts (Costa Nursery)
- Knox Medical (Knox Nursery)
- GrowHealthy (McCrory’s Sunny Hill Nursery, Agri-Starts, Peckett’s, and Eve’s)
- 3 Boys Farm
- Plants of Ruskin
- Loop’s Nursery & Greenhouses
- Sunbulb Company Inc.
- Treadwell Nursery
Stay tuned as the latest handful of operations come online and the others continue to establish themselves in the marketplace.
This story originally appeared at GrowingProduce.com.