After years of lagging, Florida beating the U.S. on unemployment
Employers added 162,000 jobs in July, which was below expectations and offered more evidence of a recovery still stuck in second gear. The new rate means Florida still has a lower unemployment rate (7.1 percent) than the nation as a whole, though the Bureau of Labor Statistics has not yet released state unemployment reports for July. More from the Miami Herald and Reuters.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
In a cavernous plant that once hummed with shuttle workers, CEO Carol Craig wants to build a manufacturing center.
Lawyers may join business networking organizations
The Florida Bar has relaxed rules about lawyers joining business networking group. The Bar reported that the change happened June 27, when the Standing Committee on Advertising said such memberships are allowed, as long as the networking doesn’t violate other Bar rules. More from the South Florida Business Journal and the Florida Bar News.
AutoNation sells 9 millionth car, logs double-digit July gains
Selling its 9 millionth vehicle last month, AutoNation continued a string of double-digit gains in July, the giant auto retailer announced Friday. The Fort Lauderdale-based company said total revenue from new vehicles sales rose 17 percent last month, compared with July 2012. [Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel]
» FRIDAY PREVIEW: Coming next week to FloridaTrend.com:
- The CNG revolution in Florida: Compressed natural gas is catching on in Florida as a fuel for truck fleets - but obstacles to more widespread use remain.
- Icon Series: Photographer Jerry Uelsmann is a "Florida Icon."
- Rules of engagement : Eugene Pettis hopes to impart a sense of service through his presidency of the Bar.
- Dining: Steaking their claim: Steak houses in Florida
- Business Profile: Dicaptca captions news and entertainment for hearing impaired.
» You'll find all these stories first on the Daily and Afternoon Pulse e-mails.