Updated 2 yearss ago
On Saturday, June 23, 2012, the Area Alliance of Business Publications, a national organization, presented their annual Editorial Excellence awards. The annual competition recognizes excellence in journalism, photography and design achieved by regional business publications. This year, there were 657 entries from 51 publications in the competition — up from 487 last year.
Gold: Florida Trend, "Florida: Texas Style?" Gary Bernloehr, Jason Morton and Jon M. Fletcher Overall, this cover (pictured below) was restrained, simple and elegant. Technically, the photo illustration was excellent with an important attention to detail, like the shadows. The typography had a clear sense of hierarchy. The subdued use of color overall allowed the elements on the boots to stand out. This was an attention getter, smartly-done
Florida Trend, a monthly statewide magazine, won 9 awards, including gold awards for Best Cover, Best Feature Layout and Best Use of Photography/ Illustrations. Below is a full list:
- Gold / Best Cover: "Florida: Texas Style?" (Oct. 2011) - Gary Bernloehr, Jason Morton and Jon M. Fletcher
- Gold / Best Feature Layout: "The State's Budget" (March 2011) - Gary Bernloehr, Jason Morton
- Gold / Best Use of Photography/ Illustrations - Gary Bernloehr, Jason Morton
- Silver / Best Overall Design - Gary Bernloehr, Jason Morton
- Silver / Best by-line Commentary - "Teeth," Mark Howard, writer
- Silver / Best Recurring Feature - "Of Counsel," Art Levy
- Silver / Best Explanatory Journalism -"A New Formula for Higher Ed," Mike Vogel, Amy Keller, Art Levy and Cynthia Barnett
- Silver / Best local coverage of a national business/economic story - "Sports business: Play Money," Mike Vogel
- Bronze / Best Daily Email - Florida Trend Afternoon Pulse and Florida Trend Daily Pulse - Will Gorham, Web Editor
About Florida Trend
Florida Trend magazine provides excellent, forward-looking, and in-depth reporting on business, finance and public policy in Florida. Florida Trend reaches more than 250,000 business executives, government officials and civic leaders. In addition, the magazine's website reaches approximately 80,000 unique visitors monthly. For more information, please visit www.FloridaTrend.com.