Sustainable Florida Seeks Nominations for Best Practice Awards
Sustainable Florida, the state’s premier organizations promoting a better social, environmental and economic future, seeks nominations for the annual Best Practice Awards. Awards are presented in several categories including Leadership, Large and Small Business, Non-Profit, Government, Green Building and Business Partnership.
The nomination deadline is August 6. The nomination process and judging is done entirely online HERE.
Best Practice Award nominations are reviewed by an independent blue-ribbon panel of sustainability experts from government agencies and corporations including previous year winners. Judges will evaluate all three pillars -- economic, environmental and social -- and will focus on projects that are environmentally friendly, provide a strong business model, help create a better community and can be replicated.
Awards will be presented at Working on the Green in early October at the Streamsong Resort developed by The Mosaic Company. Streamsong’s 16,000 acres of land are in Polk County, Florida. Mosaic, a major Florida landowner and world’s leading phosphate producer, has reclaimed many of its former mining areas for public recreational or environmental uses. The transformation of this unique landscape gave rise to a new resort concept while also helping support the local economy while protecting the land and water.
Sustainable Florida Board Chair Michael Hewett explained “a healthy economy and a healthy environment are mutually supportive.” Sustainability is the ability to meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Hewett is Director of Sustainability and Environmental Affairs for Publix Super Markets in Lakeland.
Sustainable Florida has been defining excellence for Florida’s economic, environmental and social future since 1990. An independent nonprofit organization, the Council has honored nearly 200 businesses, non-profit organizations, governmental groups and individuals whose work is committed to the future success of Florida. The awards have been presented annually since 1998.
Nominee/Award Winner Benefits
All nominees will be:
- Listed on the Sustainable Florida website – http://www.sustainableflorida.org/;
- Highlighted in Sustainable Florida’s e-newsletter – Envision Florida;
- Listed in the Awards Program invitation to be sent to more than 1,500 individuals, organizations universities, businesses and elected officials; and
- Invited to the annual awards program.
Sustainable Florida Best Practice award winners will receive:
- The specially designed Sustainable Florida Best Practice Award;
- A spotlight article on the website – http://www.sustainableflorida.org/;
- A highlighted feature in awards program literature;
- Designation as a “Sustainability Ambassador” by Sustainable Florida;
- Signage and winner logo identifying your company as a distinguished Sustainable Best
- Practice Award winner; and
- Winner logo in electronic format for placement on your marketing collateral