Business Florida 2014 - The Regions
Fort Walton Beach, Panama City, Pensacola, Tallahassee
Research & Development
• The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory: Adding a new laser tool for cutting-edge optical experiments in materials research with $3 million in National Science Foundation grants.
• Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition: Developing a human-like robot for deployment in hazardous environments, using a $5.78-million NASA grant.
• High-Performance Materials Institute: Selected by the Department of Veterans Affairs to lead a $4.4-million project to develop multi-functional sockets for prosthetic limbs.
• In June 2013, Global Business Solutions Inc., announced a five-year plan to expand its corporate headquarters in Pensacola and add 120 employees. GBSI employs 110 IT professionals in eight states for delivery of services and technical training to government and commercial customers.
• Region-wide, approximately179,000 jobs depend on Department of Defense spending, including those held by workers at more than 500 private-sector Aviation, aerospace and defense companies. European aerospace giant Airbus will begin production of its A320 aircraft at a new $600-million assembly plant in nearby Mobile, Al., in 2015.
• L-3 Crestview Aerospace is investing $13.7 million to upgrade and retrofit hangar space at Bob Sikes Airport in Crestview; 340 new jobs are expected.
Financial services On the heels of its August 2012 announcement to create 640 jobs and invest $6.5 million in Northwest Florida, Navy Federal Credit Union plans to add another 1,500 jobs and two new buildings at its Pensacola campus.
Logistics/distribution MarJam Supply, a New York-based, 12-state building materials distributor with a site in DeFuniak Springs, will invest $315,000 and create 12 jobs at a new facility in Santa Rosa Beach.
Manufacturing Pennsylvania-based prefabricated home manufacturer Priton has opened its first Florida plant in Milton with 30 workers and the promise of hiring 200.
• The Boeing Company Eglin AFB
• DeTect Panama City
• DRS Technologies Fort Walton Beach
• Home Source International Marianna
• Majestic Candies Pensacola
• Mowrey Elevator Company Marianna
• Bing Energy Tallahassee
• GE Energy Pensacola
• Green Circle Bio Energy Cottondale
• AppRiver Gulf Breeze
• Florida Institute for Human & Machine Cognition Pensacola
• Global Business Solutions Pensasola
• High-Performance Materials Institute Tallahassee