Stats on commerce, tourism, impact of free trade and more
Free Trade’s Impact
- $1.1 billion — Value of increased exports from U.S. to Colombia expected as a result of the U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement. In the first five months of 2012, Florida’s trade with Colombia has risen by 18% over from the same period last year.
Since the new free trade agreement went into effect, some industries in both countries have gotten an immediate boost:
Colombian Exports to U.S.
- Aluminum windows and doors: Up 110%
- Candy: Up 67%
- Leather handbags: Up 38%
- Women’s pants: Up 35%
U.S. Exports to Colombia
- Soil drilling machines: Up 35%
- Medicine: Up 34%
- White field corn: Up 28%
- Automobiles: Up 22%
Colombians in the U.S.
- Total Colombians in U.S.: 908,734
- Colombians in Florida: 300,414
Florida and Colombia: The Trade Picture
- Colombia is Florida’s second-biggest trading partner behind Brazil. Last year, total trade between Florida and Colombia was $9 billion.