Icon: Stetson Kennedy
Writer, human rights crusader, folklorist. Deceased August 27, 2011, age of 94.
The media for the most part is so given to disseminating misinformation. It's very much a tsunami of misinformation. So anyone trying to spotlight truth has their work cut out for them.
There's many things going on in our country and this world I'm sorry I lived to see. But at the same time, there's many things I'm glad I did live to see and one of those is the advance toward the realization of the American ideal of freedom and justice for all and the end of the Jim Crow segregation system.
There have been very many trends, some positive and some not so positive, and I can't help but feel that the negative have been due in a large part to a tendency on the part of some few people to look upon natural resources as anything that can be converted into cash.
I can't help but feel in this year of 2006, that Christian reckoning, the reactionary trends are threatening to overwhelm the progressive ones, and we need to do something about that. Quick.
I remember in the middle of the last century, in the 1950s or so ... America was building a middle class. Everybody below it was clawing its way up trying to get a foothold into the middle-class lifestyle. But in more recent decades, I'm afraid that trend has come to a halt and being reversed so that the white-collar and even blue-collar workers are being precipitated to the bottom rungs of the economic ladder so that it used to be that dark skin meant bottom of the ladder because of discrimination, but already for the future I can see it's not just going to be dark-skinned.
I remember my father saying that no boy that doesn't carry a pocketknife will ever amount to anything.
In the Writers' Project in Florida we had a staff of something like 200 people including a lot of fieldworkers collecting thousands of Florida songs and tales, which were recorded in the 1930s. There are also copies available in the state archive in Tallahassee so that teachers and scholars and folk musicians looking for roots have ready access to them. I don't know whether they know it or not.
In Lee High School, senior year, we were all ordered to write an essay about what I want to be when I grow up. The title of my essay was "Why I Want to Be a Zoologist." But then I graduated into the Great Depression and looking around at what was going on in the world, decided that our species was by far the greatest troublemaker and in the greatest trouble. So I decided I would continue to be a zoologist, but specializing in my own species.
I'm currently working on my memoirs, which are going to be titled "Dissident at Large."
I used to for a long period in my life say things like if someone gave me an award or recognition and stuff, I'd say, 'It's not what I've done, but what I'm going to do.' But now that I'm going on 90, I suppose I'm going to have to change my tune.
I was fortunate to have as a close, very longtime friend Woody Guthrie, the legendary American folk balladeer. Woody spent a great deal of time here at Beluthahatchee.
On the wall we have a literary landmark plaque out front, the Friends of Library USA commemorating Woody's work, and as soon as I drop dead, they said they'd put up one next to it about my work, so it will be a double dip.
My friend Alan Lomax is a preeminent world folk musicologist. He passed away several years ago in Tarpon Springs. We were told by the driver of the ambulance who took him to the hospital 'after a stroke that Alan's last words were "Marvelous. Marvelous. Marvelous." Alan pretty much summed up my own attitude.
In case you missed it:
- Carl Hiaasen is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Nan-Yao Su is a Florida 'Icon'
- Roland Martin is a Florida ‘Icon'
- Florida Icon: Derrick Brooks
- An interview with Annika Sorenstam
- Iconic Florida developer H. Irwin Levy
- ‘Alligator' Ron Bergeron
- Howard Schnellenberger is a Florida 'Icon'
- Florida Icon: Barbara Mainster
- Florida Icon: Walter Lanier ‘Red' Barber
- Louise Gopher is a 'Florida Icon'
- H. Lee Moffitt is a 'Florida Icon'
- Kiran Patel is a 'Florida Icon'
- 'Florida Icon' Howard C. Tibbals shares life lessons
- Alex D. Brickler is a 'Florida Icon'
- Life lessons from hockey great Phil Esposito
- Lucy Morgan is a 'Florida Icon'
- Donald Goodman is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ed Droste is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ray Ferrero Jr. - Florida Icon
- W. George Allen is a 'Florida Icon'
- Tom James is a 'Florida Icon'
- Patrick Smith is a 'Florida Icon'
- Jerry Uelsmann is a 'Florida Icon'
- John L. Parker is a 'Florida Icon'
- C.C. 'Doc' Dockery is a 'Florida Icon'
- Toni Jennings is a 'Florida Icon'
- Dave Barry is a 'Florida Icon'
- Shaquille O'Neal is a 'Florida Icon'
- Ruth Alexander is a Florida Icon
- Brian Johnson is a Florida Icon
- Florida Icon: Sam Gibbons
- Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
- Icon: Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits
- Icon: Charles E. 'Chuck' Cobb Jr.
- Icon: John DeGrove
- Icon: Charles Gray
- Icon: Harry Crews
- Icon: Burt Reynolds
- Icon: Tibor Hollo
- Icon: Gary Mormino
- Icon: Richard Gonzmart
- Icon: Bob Graham
- Icon: Ward Hall
- Icon: Eugenie Clark
- Icon: Warrick Dunn
- Icon: Arthur Rutenberg
- Icon: Chris Evert
- Icon: Preston Haskell
- Icon: Joseph Kittinger
- Icon: The Fanjul Brothers
- Icon: Romero Britto
- Icon: Steve Raymund
- Icon: Cesar L. Alvarez
- Icon: Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez
- Icon: Gay Culverhouse
- Icon: Gene Leedy
- Icon: William R. Hough
- Icon: Peter Prichard
- Icon: Ed Price
- Icon: David L. Paul
- Icon: Jan Garavaglia
- Icon: Claude R. Kirk Jr.
- Icon: Don Zimmer
- Icon: Kenneth H. 'Buddy' MacKay
- Icon: Dick Vitale
- Icon: Michael Gannon
- Icon: Marcella Hazan
- Icon: Tony Little
- Icon: Wade L. Hopping
- Icon: Edgar Mitchell
- Icon: James Rosenquist
- Icon: Bob Martinez
- Icon: Arnold Palmer
- Icon: Don Shula
- Icon: Mike Peters
- Icon: Margaret D. Lowman
- Icon: Doug Williams
- Icon: Bob Butterworth
- Icon: Fred Schultz
- Icon: Eugene Patterson
- Icon: Harris Mullen
- Icon: Bill Haast
- Icon: Marion P. Hammer
- Icon: Albert Dunlap
- Icon: Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Icon video: Joseph Hatchett
- Icon: Talbot 'Sandy' D'Alemberte
- Icon: John Walsh
- Icon: James Robert Cade
- Icon: Nathaniel Pryor Reed
- Icon: Gus Stavros
- Icon: Betty Castor
- Icon: Mary Ann Carroll
- Icon: George Steinbrenner
- Icon: Ferdie Pacheco
- Icon: Vic Dunaway
- Icon: George Smathers
- Icon: Phyllis Apple
- Icon: Nick Bollettieri
- Icon: Harris Rosen
- Icon: Max Mayfield
- Icon: Carrie Meek
- Icon: Andres Duany
- Icon: T. Willard Fair
- Icon: Bobby Bowden
- Icon: Don Francisco
- Icon: Janet Reno
- Icon: Reubin O'D. Askew
- Icon: Clyde Butcher
- Icon: Willie Gary
- Icon: Wayne Huizenga